Should I try a jackshaft

Local time
2:56 AM
Can someone tell what the benefits of getting a jackshaft, like will it give more speed, up hills easier, etc. I have a 48cc with all performance parts 40tooth sprocket. Thanks

I really need one of these!! :)

There's a way you can get the middle chain off very quickly if the need arises, only on straight downtube bikes (the engine fairly high) and using the optional tensioners but it's something that I need for convenience and legal purposes. With the middle chain off the bike pedals with no additional drag at all and cannot be started.

The jackshaft allows the use of the freehub on the right hand side.
This has two big advantages, firstly it allows the bike to freewheel without you pulling in the clutch (but you can still start the engine with the pedals, no need to get off and pull start) and puts less drag on the bike when it's freewheeling because it isn't dragging the chain around (or momentarily engine braking while you react and do the declutching).
The second advantage is it allows you to use derailleur or internal hub gears.

There is a disadvantage of power lost into moving those three chains, six sprockets and up to five or six tensioner wheels. Top speed would be lower than if you were geared specifically for top speed on a single speed bike with one chain, two sprockets and one tensioner.

Someone said He can pack 100pounds of groceries up the steepist hill where He lives because he has a jackshaft, so will the jackshaft let me go up logging roads up in the mountains, will it give me the freedom to do that.

Someone said He can pack 100pounds of groceries up the steepist hill where He lives because he has a jackshaft, so will the jackshaft let me go up logging roads up in the mountains, will it give me the freedom to do that.

Yes.
You need to do more research about shift kits and jackshafts.

Try to get your gear reduction around 40:1 by the time it hits your pedals so you can still pedal with the engine above 5000rpm. If you gear it incorrectly good luck pedaling above 3000rpm and your additional 50+ lb-ft torque is wasted when it might be of use.

Thank you father, if you knew Im 47 youd probably understand how ridiculous you sound, but thanks for the lil info you did give me. Peace

Back