Should valves be adjusted as normal maintenance?

Valve adjustment can be unnecessary or absolutely crucial. It depends on the engine, not just manufacture. Some can have two identical engines that have been ran the same, side by side, and one could use a valve adjustment while the other doesn't.

A key example of valve adjustment being a big part of maintenance is the VW boxer engines. They are recommended to adjust around 6,000 miles, and check if more regularly.

Valve adjustment can be unnecessary or absolutely crucial. It depends on the engine, not just manufacture.
Regardless, the gap still needs to be checked as part of normal maintenance and adjusted when necessary to do so, there will always be eventual wear and adjustment takes the slop and ticking out of it.

Ps...If anyone here has ever owned a 225 slant six motor, you will definitely vouch for this...lol.

Regardless, the gap still needs to be checked as part of normal maintenance and adjusted when necessary to do so, there will always be eventual wear and adjustment takes the slop and ticking out of it.

Ps...If anyone here has ever owned a 225 slant six motor, you will definitely vouch for this...lol.
I can tell when my honda gx35 needs a valve adjustment, it's harder to start than normal & I lose 2-3mph on my top end.

Never owned a 225, by my Dart has a 170 in her

IMG_20230307_181945015.jpg

Here is a picture of my Dart, she's sat for a while, I've just been waiting for the weather to warm up so I can redo the brakes, run fuel lines, tune the carb, and replace the intake/exhaust manifold gasket.

Back