Should we change forum software?

Should we change forum software?

• No - phpBB is just fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tom

Local time
5:40 AM
Our forum currently uses the free phpBB software. Plenty of bugs and not perfect. I am considering switching the board over to Vbulletin. I have heard nothing but great reviews from other webmasters, and have used forums with this software before, and I can confidently say that its a much better software than ours.

The only set back is that its $180, and there might be a few glitches in importing everything over there.

Do you guys think its worth it?

Can you paste a few examples of the Alternative forums?

I don't want to mess up the best MB forum I've found, but if something works easier AND looks better, might as well take a look.

Tom said:
Our forum currently uses the free phpBB software. Plenty of bugs and not perfect. I am considering switching the board over to Vbulletin. I have heard nothing but great reviews from other webmasters, and have used forums with this software before, and I can confidently say that its a much better software than ours.

The only set back is that its $180, and there might be a few glitches in importing everything over there.

Do you guys think its worth it?

can this board (phpBB) remain active during a change over to Vbulletin?

can you describe what importing glitches we might have?

Is the $180 a one time fee? yearly?

not another name change.... :( ?

I have no idea what you (Tom) have to do to maintain this board to keep it running smoothly. (btw.... it's much faster today...thanks!)
the "bugs" you speak of, are they recurring? or when you fix one, it's fixed...but something else gets "buggy"?
Does Vbulletin have more features for the members? I guess I need to see Vbull in action.

I guess you have to weigh the benefits with the price
and also probs with current software with the price
and after carefull thought, go with your gut
(after all...it was your gut that told you to start this forum)
:D :D

I think I am going to change the software. 180 one time fee. Totally worth it. There will not be a name change, the site will just look a little different. You will all still have all your posts, accounts, avatars, etc. There shouldnt be more than a few minutes of downtime.

can you alert us when its gonna happen?
I leave a page open on this usually 24/7
check it whenever I get a chance ,just dont want to be on when it changes, to lessen any probs

I have ubuntu on my computer as well as windows. It is a much cleaner operating system, however, there are a bunch of programs you can't run on ubuntu. The compatability of linux sucks.

Back