Should you buy a moterized bike? Consider this..

T

twinkiex

A Moterized Bike or My Baptism in Gasoline

I am the proud owner of a new moterized gas powered bicyle purchased at spookytoothcycles.com. Its called The Querve, its a Green Line mens Cruiser installed with a 48cc gas powered engine. So its esentially a motercycle crossed with a leaf blower. I bought it with great hopes of saving gas and therefore saving the world.

It gets aproximatly150 miles a gallon. It runs on a mixture of 7 ounces of 2-stroke motercycle sythetic oil which cost about $13 for a quart, and a gallon regular gas. I must mix them together then pour them in the little tank which holds 1/2 gallon.

To start the thing I must first climb on, (not an easy feat when I am a very short girl, 5'2, and the bike bar is up to my waist. Thank God I dont want more kids.) Then I have to reach down past my knees to pull out the choke, turn on the gas, hold in the clutch while peddling frantically trying to reach 10 mph when I can let out the clutch which engages the engine then it putts out, then I must hold in the clutch, break and stop, tilt the bike so I dont hurt myself, hop down off the seat, look down to turn off the choke, once again reaching down to my knees, then straighten up, get back on the seat and peddle with all my might then the engine engages and spews forth great clouds of gas fumes and sounds and smells just like a lawn mower. It takes great effort to start the engine initially when it is cold and if I accidentally flood the engine it must completly dry up the excess gas before it will restart. This make take an hour so I am very careful not to miss that only chance I have to start the thing, usually I drag it up a hill to start it initially. Once started it goes up to 35 miles per hour, and to stop it I hold in the cluth and apply the breaks while tilting the bike and trying to get one foot on the floor, but the brakeing mechanism is mostly controlled by God, or fate or whatever. Restarting from a stop isnt too difficult because the engine is warm already, it starts after I peddle to about 15 mph and the ease open the throttle.

The gas gets in my hair, on my face and in my clothes. It never washes off my hands. I could probably drip dry before a shower and get another quater tankfull.

For all the effort it takes me to ride and start and stop and restart this bike I could have easily ridden my mountain bike to my destination in half the time. Also there is the effort to drag the bike through my appartment to my back yard and lock it up several times a day. It weighs exactly twice as much as my beautiful Outlook Diamondback extra small woman's 21 speed mountain bike.

I just dont know about this bike. It is very pretty and the people at Spooky Tooth are cool. Very good purchase experience. I would highly recommend this bike for anyone who wants loves the sweet smell of (saving) gas.

If the "experience" gets in your blood, it will take a bit of time to find "the perfect mb.match".

I moved from California, bought a $200 horse, "Dan", 17 hands high, had to jump to get my foot in the stirrup. Durn thing would never gallop UNLESS we were trying to corral 60-70 cows, then he would run like Secretariat and chase cattle all over the place. Dad was going to shoot him, he didn't last 6 mos on the farm, and that was the end of my horse experience.

Last week I did an install on a bike with a 35" top tube, same babymaking potential problems, except polar opposite.

And there is a thread here somewhere, a wooden "bike box", which could be built/locked, to store bikes on the ground floors at apartments/condos. As popularity increases, those might come into more and more use, like old Greyhound bus lockers, but big enough for bikes.

Heres a Rackmount, Ladies, that fits a 4'10" tall customer (in light blue). Just food for thought, gets rid of the fume/starting troubles mentioned in your post.

Attachments

• 2007_0822yellowbike0001.JPG
    2007_0822yellowbike0001.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 552
  • 2007_0822yellowbike0010.JPG
    2007_0822yellowbike0010.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 525
My vision is not the best. Is that the gas tank on the back of the bike?
Absolutly beautiful bike frame! Another part of the problem is I am very girly and this bike mans black giant beast of a bike is all wrong for me. I didnt know I had a choice, and when I asked the guys at Spooky Tooth they said I was plenty tall enough, I begged for 24 inch wheeles and they talked me out of it.
Thanks for your understanding bamabikeguy. I understand your horse story perfectly.
Dont get me wrong, I do LOVE to ride!
Maybe I will sell or trade my bike for a dainty ladies bike that suits me better. Thanks!

twinkie,

I like the color of that Vanderbilt Gold bike, it's a Sun Retro Alum 7. I put the axle-mounting install in this thread:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6464

But changed it to a frame-mounted unit last week.

If you wanted to window shop at bike dealers, Sun's are generic Schwinns and Diamondbacks, I'm beginning to figure out. And some bikeshops won't show them in B'ham, because Sun's are in the mid $200's, and they want to sell $500 bikes.

My recommendation would be double-check, see if a Ladies 26" Sun wouldn't fit, stopping at a bikeshop and sitting on a couple of 26" models would answer that.

Pic 5 is a 10 yr. old boy, shorter than you, on a 26" Ladies, wasting a tank of gas going round and round the pasture last Easter.

That newest find I had, the Greygeezer/Sun Comfort Rover 21 speed, would suit my mom, who is 5 foot tall, or my daughter, who is 5'7".

These GEBE's do fit on 24" wheels
, but if you (or any lady reading this) want to do that type of 24" install, give me a holler, there is ONE special tip/trick which would help on the spokering snapon.

And you are double MB.blessed, there are a lot of Tuscon MBmembers, maybe one could help you with the install, they would probably be interested in test driving the finished project.

They, and Craigslist, might help you make a switch, I sold Dan for $150, learned you can't buy "somebody elses problem" and expect it to perform.

Sorry about the vision-thing, mine is fadin' fast too.

Heres a few more Ladies models, a Sun, a cheapie Avalon from WallyWorld (which I will NOT buy, if a customer brings one, I'll install it, but won't buy another Avalon myself), then a couple of husband/wife installs.

Final piece of advise, avoid coaster brakes on Ladies, or you will never keep up with your husband on a 7 speed. I'd explain if anybody is interested, down in Rackem.

Goodluck !!

Attachments

• bikes 3432.jpg
    bikes 3432.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 444
  • bikes 3434.jpg
    bikes 3434.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 433
  • 2007_0722bikefishkill0003.JPG
    2007_0722bikefishkill0003.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 398
  • 2007_0722bikefishkill0019.JPG
    2007_0722bikefishkill0019.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 412
  • easter 015.jpg
    easter 015.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 476
Thanks for the more detailed pics bbg. Very nice! I dont plan on getting rid of the bike I have, I will keep it and lend it to friends or family to go for rides. : )
Its a keeper, its just not my perfect mb.

The cool thing is folks are going to ask YOU about your bike and the MB.movement as a whole, and you are going to be able to give better and more insightful advise.

Thats the difference between riders and vendors, we can be more honest and transparent about a lot of different factors, the good and the bad.

Have good rides, enjoy the countryside, thats the fun part !!!

I am invisable on my Outlook Diamond Back, which I think is the most beautiful bike I have ever seen. I LOVE my bike, but when I am on my mb so many people stare at me and ask question. At every stop someone will yell a question, usually where did I buy, how fast it goes, gas milage and even how much I paid for it. I answer every question with just one or two words. It overwhelms me. I am just out there to ride. Why all the questions? I saw an mb for the first time a few months ago and new the moment I saw it, that bike was mine!
They are not that popular yet, and they are very affordable.

neat topic...i had a diamondback "outlook" that i miss dearly, a tank and a bmw rolled into one.

it's pretty cool (sometimes overwhelming) being an ambassador, isn't it? email tom: admin@motoredbikes to get plenty of MBc stickers, easier to hand them out than to try and answer all those questions :)

The outlook has one of the strongest frames on a mountain bike, for a bike that can be easily Motorized. My POD2 is my favorite bike ever. I love this bike it is smooth and light and brakes very well.

I found that finding a bike I can ride comfortably was the biggest decision on my happiness level on a bike.

If you love riding your Outlook, check out the rack mount option. Even Electric would be an option depending on distance you needed to go between charges.

I like gas, and I love my Happy times. But I have a seen a few bikes I would love to strap a 50 cc rack mounted Honda to and zoom the highways in style. Good luck and be safe.

hi

hi there...i sure like the way you describe the experience...for me i saw augidog on his last november and knew it wiuld be cool, finaally got mine in june...however it has not been able to stay running long enough...i soon will have a back wheel. i have always loved to ride...happy motoring!:cool:

Back