Shrink gets a hobby

PsychDoc

Local time
7:02 AM
Greetings all,
I have often seen guys cruzing these bikes around and thought, “that is so cool” which became “I want one” and here I am. So I bought a kit from bike berry (which is a story of it own) and it wouldn’t fit in my mt. bike, bummer. So I start combing through Craig’s list and the Facebook searching for a viable option. A fortunate break between patients, a fresh CL ad and $40 later- I’m the proud owner of a Nirve, Paul Frank cruiser. Not sure the model, it has a cartoon skull and crossbones if that helps- blah blah build blah- I’m breaking it in now. 4 stroking like, well, a 4 stroke. So there you have it. Welcome to me. Now if anyone has a switchblade they want to get rid of, I’m your guy.

Attachments

• B636B0D2-AA12-452C-8BC8-193A7C46FDB5.jpeg
    B636B0D2-AA12-452C-8BC8-193A7C46FDB5.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 198
Sounds like you’re in for some jetting fun! That’s the D-Clone carb (I think...), and folks be sayin’ those (and mine, too) are notoriously rich, straight outta th’ box. What altitude you at? Yer gonna get some replies on jetting, and where ye live does matter a bit.

Very nice job, by the way! 👍

Thanks for the compliment. And I’m 400ft above sea level- just east of San Diego

Perfect. You don’t have altitude variations to deal with. My replacement jets are still in shipping, so I haven’t yet had the pleasure, but I’m seeing (in lots of tuning posts) numbers in the mid .60s. Somebody also ran a thread in Dellorto tuning, which does cover float/needle setting, but I don’t remember if it had a jetting chart. Of course, jetting becomes the sum of virtually every variable from air filter to exhaust tip, so you may get to try two or three sizes, but I’ma bet someone’ll ring in with a great starting point.

So.., tell me Doc... Should I listen t’ all th’ voices in m’ head, or jus’ th’ loud ones? 👍🤣 [I’m guessing you have a great sense of humor, and there will be days with th’ MB that you’ll be glad ye do! 😉]

Last edited:
Welcome to the club, that's a nice looking ride. Definately sounds like you'll be doing some rejetting to get the 4 stroking to stop. Pretty sure stock carbs come with a 70 main jet so you'll need to go smaller. Higher # jet = richer lower# = leaner. Another trick for those carbs is to drill an additional hole in the emulsion tube in the throat of the carb, that crates better atomization of the fuel charge before entry into the cylinder.
Being a shrink you'll have alot of new clients by joining this forum, lol
Again welcome, and nice ride.

Welcome to the forum! Fellow Nirve rider here, they make some pretty decent frames that work well with these kits.

I do recommend some axle tugs tho, they'll save you some grief with horizontal dropouts. Gotta keep that rear wheel centered!

Examples:

Stay safe out there!

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
McDonns- the voices n my head are usually my wife’s, I do what they tell me

Chris - it looks like new jet could be the things I pulled it apart today to ‘raise the c-clip’ but couldn’t see a needle at all!?! And an emulsion tube? No clue- must research more.

Aleman- good call on the axle tugs- centered is good. I also need to ‘true’ it properly. And what kind of ale would you suggest, being the man you should know, right?

I’m not even a full gallon through engine yet so maybe things will get better. Seems to pull better up hill, and at low/mid throttle.

And I passed a cop (police officer of the law) in aposing lane and didn’t get stopped. I mailed away for registration but don’t have it yet so...

McDonns- the voices n my head are usually my wife’s, I do what they tell me

Wise, wise man, this one..! 👍🤣👍

Yes, you’re right, that you’re just dealing with jets, and no “C” clip. You have the Dellorto clone carb (I think, by your pic. Mine says “Runtong” on it.), not the NT. Hell, I could be clear out in the weeds on this, and it appears these go by a few different names, so I hope to see more from the guys. Gonna be curious to see which jet you end up with, ‘cause I’m only at 500’ m’se’f. Whatever y’all come up with, mine’ll be in th’ same boat...

Last edited:
Looks like the same one. Although the sharp eye will notice that the bolt that clamps the carb to the intake tube has been changed- seems that wanted to be at least snug :confused: and the ?float bowl? Is attached with maybe torx screws- hopefully I have the correct size. Now, where do I buy jets?

Last edited:
Back