Sick Bike Parts Dual Pull Lever

Thumb Throttle & Dual brake pull

so i was diggin through their site and came across this. its a dual pull (side by side) brake level plus a thumb throttle and a kill switch all in one.

Im in love.

http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Brake_Lever_and_Throttle_Assemby_p/atbl302485.htm

That looks identical to the ATV thumb throttle I bought for my bike. We're still trying to get it hooked up--the brake was the easy part, although I've just got the rear brake into it, sticking with a separate front brake handle for now. I just needed a thumb throttle instead of a twist throttle--I'm disabled, and twisting was not working, plus the throttle that came with the kit was POS--it fell apart internally all the time, requiring 5-10 min of disassembling and reassembling at inconvenient times. The problem has been that the throttle cable is too long when switching to the new throttle by about 2".

I've had trouble trying to get barrel cable ends--nobody on the Gulf Coast seems to know what I'm talking about or don't have any in stock, despite the fact that they are used on a long list of applications. Mail order was going to cost me about $25-30 for a fifty cent part between shipping and buying a whole bag of them. Gave it up finally (after 2 weeks of hunting and calling) and with a little help from a friend (gotta love friends with tools & expertise you don't have!) we're going to drill a cable stop and tap the ends, allowing me to run the cable through it, then use the screws on either end to tighten against the cable and hold it. If this works, it allows for adjustments on the throttle cable.

If that doesn't work, Plan B has us melting some aluminum and pouring it into a mold over the spread out cable end, trimmed to length and hope it is the right length. This might be the "right" way to do it, but it would also occupy most of a day, between melting the aluminum and then waiting for it to cool, assuming the clay mold is dry enough that we don't have a problem there. (Gulf Coast is not great for drying anything!)

Anybody else have any ideas before I devote myself to turning a soda can into a new barrel cable end?

Dual Pull

Retro. Cool.
Hey Pablo, Is there a difference, besides quality of course, between the Chinese dual pull lever and the one you sell? AussieSteve mentions something about a built in pivot for pressure balance (?). In a hard braking situation the front wheel takes around 70% (75%?) of your stopping power as the weight of the bike (and you) pitch forward. If you have the dual pull adjusted equally between front and back then when you hit graval, oil, wet road or such then the front wheel is gonna lock and slide out of control. The ones I've been using I adjust the rear wheel brake to take the most pressure to avoid this problem, being there is no way to do a quick adjust on the fly if a slick situation arises. I learned this the hard way when my front tire started sliding in some sand when cut off by a car.
Of course on a clean, dry road the dual pull works great. If you have solved the dirty, wet road problem I'm gonna start ordering your lever.
Thanks,
Big Red.

Yes it pivots internally. There is nothing mystical about the lever and you certainly can individually dial in the front and rear bias to your environment. But you can't adjust it on the fly. If there was such a thing, I imagine it would cost a tad more than $12.

Anybody else have any ideas before I devote myself to turning a soda can into a new barrel cable end?

Silver solder........you will need a MAPP torch or an oxy acetaline setup.
Normal solder is OK for accel. cables, but not strong enough for the brakes..........
Good luck!!!:unsure:

Actually, I used some pipe solder for a brake end, tested it in a vise with a brake lever on a handlebar and with the strongest grip I could give-(much stronger than any force I have ever applied to a brake lever) the end held on.

I drilled the approiate size hole in a block of aluminum, set the CLEAN cable in it and melted the solder flush to the top. Ground off the part where it was pointed from the drilled "Mould" and it worked fine.
Got the whole idea from someone here.

Thinking of buying one, but it cost a lot to get sent to me :(

This thead is supposed to be advertising 'Sick Bike Parts, Duel Pull Brake lever', but, since others have posted links to other type levers and what not, now I wont feel bad about telling markham26 that we can buy them locally from a few vendors here in Australia............One of them being Rock Solid Engines (Queensland) $28

Sorry SBP:helmet:

Last edited:
SBP = $12+$12 postage to Aus, Priority Air Mail. $24.

Rock Solid $28 + Postage. ($2 or $4 or ?)

Back