Sick Bike Parts dual range jackshaft gearing system

Fabian you don't state how many cogs you're running in the rear. If its 7 then try shifting like this 1(1,2,3,4); 2(4,5,6,7) this way the only time you shift the 2 front chainrings is when you're in 4 in the rear. This will eliminate gear redundancy, cross chaining and chain droop. It will be like having 8 individual gears instead of 14 redundant ones.

Try this then 1(1,2,3,4); 2(4,5,6,7,8). You'd still only shift the 2 front chainrings when you're in 4 in the rear. It will take a lot of strain off your chain. You'd have 9 individual gears instead of 16 redundant ones. I'd use 1(1) as a starting gear if you had to stop going up a steep hill. All other stops 2(4) should work as a starting gear.

In operation, you just don't use the low range 24 tooth front chainwheel except as a bailout gear, and there is always the risk of a chainsuck event when switching from the 24 tooth to the 38 tooth chainwheel.. For that reason low range is treated as an emergency gear ratio option, rather than an everyday riding option.

Basically, when you require use of the low range 24 tooth front chainwheel, the excrement has hit the fan and you only use low range to get yourself out of the merde for the shortest time possible before getting the chain back on the larger diameter 38 tooth front chainwheel.
I only shift into 2nd and 3rd gear on the rear cassette if the hill is too steep to allow me to jump up into high range, due to the fact that moving the chain up onto the larger 38 tooth chainwheel is best done under human pedal power, just in case a cross chain type chain suck occurs, thereby preventing damage to the chain and front derailleur.
On a very steep hill, you can't place enough human power into the system to keep pedaling the bike forward, so you must stay on the small 24 tooth front chainwheel and select 2nd and 3rd gear on the rear cassette.

Once you go past 3rd gear on the rear cassette, it causes chain alignment issues when the chain is disengaging the sprocket teeth on the 24 tooth front chainwheel, especially if the chainwheel has a bit of wear, which is a recipe for chainsuck when the sprocket teeth have massive tension placed on the working face.

Low range gearing for the most part is only used as an emergency option, when the steepness of the hill makes it too dangerous to come to a complete stop, forcing you to keep moving uphill, till you can find an area of ground that flattens out.

The only other time i use low range gearing is when i am doing heavy haul, but once again, low range is used for the shortest time possible, just to get me out of the merde till i can find more level ground to build road speed for a quick human powered gear change onto the 38 tooth front sprocket.

We've got really steep hills where I live. Up to a 30% grade. I've built several pedal only riders bikes which can climb them. On twist shifters they are two directional. The 3 on the left goes down to go higher. The 8 on the right goes up to go higher. What I did was put the 8 on the left so you go down to go higher. I switched out the guts on the 3 (a 10 click Sram shifter) with a Sram 8 shifter then put the 3 on the right. This way the 3 still shifts down to go higher. Now both shifters are one directional. Down for higher; up for lower. Much like a twist throttle. There also color zones to coordinate the shifters. This is how it works: red (uphill (1,2,3)1); yellow (level ground (3,4,5,6)2); green (downhill (6,7,8)3. What I'm putting on these bikes are a DNP Epoch 8 speed 34-11 freewheel. The front chainrings are 22,38,48. I also put a bicycle computer with a cadence meter on it. Then tell them to be in a gear where they can comfortably maintain a crank rpm of 70-90. The bikes also use Kendra 838 slicks. For as long as I've lived here only the pedal only bikes I've built have I seen going up the really steep hills.

I helped a fireman friend of mine build 21 speed bike using this same style of twist shifters. He uses a thumb throttle. It's uphill (red (1,2,3)1); level ground (yellow (3,4,5); downhill (green (5,6,7)3). I custom built the 7 speed rear freewheel (34,28,24,21,18,15,13). The front 3 chainrings are 28,36,44. The Honda 35 engine max hp is at 7000 rpm. I told him to be in a gear where the tach is there. If he can't get 7000 rpm then the gear is to high so down shift. If its 300 or more rpm above that then the gear is to low so up shift.

Last edited:
I find this thread to be very interesting as I too am in the process of adding a "low range" to my 8 speed Huffy Cranbrook. My build consists of a SunRace 8-Speed 13-32 rear freewheel which is shifted by a Shimano Tourney TX35 Rear Derailleur (6/7 Speed) via a Shimano twist grip 8 speed shifter. Last riding season I did not run a front derailleur as I used only the stock SBP shiftkit Chainring - Freewheel - 36 Tooth and the bike ran great.

However since I am never satisfied I have proceeded to add a Chainring - Freewheel - 24 Tooth and a slightly modified Shimano FD-M360 Acera Triple Front Derailleur. As of yet I do have it mocked up and it actually shifts pretty well through out both the low and high range gear sets. I have attached a photo of what my Chainring now looks like
securedownload.jpg

The first time you climb an impossibly steep hill in low range first gear (and be doing it easy), you'll be giggling yourself silly, but then, you will realise not only yourself can be hauled up that hill, but another person can also be hauled up that impossibly steep hill by attaching a tow rope from your bike to their bike. :devilish:

That's when you need to see a medical professional to surgically remove the enormous smile off your face, because your girlfriend or wife will falsely suspect that you've been sleeping with another woman.

Already, I am all grins :D at the idea of hauling up my favorite hill. As for my girlfriend she already knows that a man's bike comes first (yea right). I have a feeling that both my dad and nephew are gonna want this upgrade as soon as I have a chance to show it off a bit that is, so I am sure I will be giving Sick Bike Parts even more business.

Last edited:
It appears that you have the White Industries Heavy Duty Freewheel Bearing system installed on your bike. If you do have it installed, it's one of the most important improvements you can get for the shift kit, after the "right hand side chain tensioner" and then the "left hand side chain tensioner".

I have a feeling that both my dad and nephew are gonna want this upgrade as soon as I have a chance to show it off a bit

When your Dad and nephew see your arse being hauled up that hill using low range gearing, they will be totally mesmerized, and arms outstretched, they will make their way (with glazed eyes) to the computer; in a helpless manner; tapping the keyboard; entering their credit card details into the SickBikeParts website, for purchase of all the optional sprocket sizes, to give them low range gears.

They will be completely powerless to resist the magnetic attraction of low range gearing.

Back