SickBikeParts Shift Kit (Heavy Duty) and the Mongoose Dolomite.

yuckfoo

Local time
12:19 AM
Question: Any advice is appreciated but hoping to hear from anyone with a Dolomite and a shift kit from SickBikeParts.

I was told by James from SickBikeParts that I would need the heavy duty kit. I'm wondering though, is it really necessary to replace the crank arms with the sickbikeparts arms? Is it really necessary to remove the bearing assembly and replace it with the one in the heavy duty kit?

Also: Have you found that you actually needed the 8" keyed shaft or were you able to complete the build without it?

You need the sickbikeparts crank arms because the one arm is threaded to accept the heavy duty freewheel. The freewheel ìs what let's the whole jackshaft kit works and allows you not to pedal while the engine runs. The bottom bracket cartridge is also needed because it moves you're crank arms out for clearance. I'm guessing a dolomite is a fat tire bike so then yes you need the 8" shaft for clearance. Sickbikeparts has been doing shift kits for a long time and know there stuff. If Jim says thats what you need then that's what you'll need. Sickbikeparts isn't in to screwing people over.

Shifterbike with SBP crank arms and freewheel
20201120_185122.jpg

You need the sickbikeparts crank arms because the one arm is threaded to accept the heavy duty freewheel. The freewheel ìs what let's the whole jackshaft kit works and allows you not to pedal while the engine runs. The bottom bracket cartridge is also needed because it moves you're crank arms out for clearance. I'm guessing a dolomite is a fat tire bike so then yes you need the 8" shaft for clearance. Sickbikeparts has been doing shift kits for a long time and know there stuff. If Jim says thats what you need then that's what you'll need. Sickbikeparts isn't in to screwing people over.
OK now I understand. Thanks man!

OK now I understand. Thanks man!
I have heard some fat tire owners say they didn't need the 8" shaft. I'll be taking my time building this over the winter, so I'll probably just wait till I get that far to see for myself, but was hoping to see what others here might say. I've spent quite a bit on this build already. I'm now at the stage where I don't want to spend anymore. XD

Back