Side mount 36V 900W Sprocket design

BadBunny, I'll see if I can get some pics of what I'm talking about tomorrrow. Ya, I can smell it like a burnning tire in my head. Both my axels are around 14 mm maybe 12 and they are threaded but I have several sets to tear up untill I find the right contraption.
If ya smell any good ideas, don't hold back. Anybody!

Here are some pics I took today of the wheel and the threads. The outer threads are just .011 shy of 1-3/8. I ordered my southpaw freewheel today.

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 345
  • P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 337
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 339
  • P1010035.JPG
    P1010035.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 331
Last edited by a moderator:
Ya Bad bunny, I don't know what I thinking, of corse the freewheel goes on the hub.
Did you know they make expensive ratcheting sprockets for just about any shaft size?
A lot cheaper to go with the bicycle freewheel. $21.00 w/ship Chrome molly.

This thread has stirred me up enough to get me back to work on my own electric bicycle project. I've been thinking about one where the motor runs through the drive train and all the problems that entails.

A few days ago, I found a blog with instructions on making a very simple front-wheel-drive bicycle that's similar to a Cruzbike. See the first picture below.(http://recumbent-canada.blogspot.com/). There's one possible solution to the problem of having two drive trains: put the pedals on the front wheel! That means I can mount the motor where the pedals used to be and drive the rear freewheel directly.

Attachments

• PICT0084.jpg
    PICT0084.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 367
That sounds like one heck of a good idea. You would still be street legal and yet run through the original set up with power. Have you ever rode a Cruzbike? Seems for country cruizing it would be ok but I'm not sold on city traffic. I will be keeping an open mind. Gett'er Done!

Some people say recumbents don't perform very well in stop-and-go traffic, just like some say they don't climb hills as well as wedgies. And some freaks will absolutely swear that front-wheel drive is the way of the future and that FWD recumbents climb hills like billygoats. Other people can't tolerate the steering input from the pedals.

There's only one way to tell, of course, so I spent most of this afternoon with an angle grinder and two old 27" road bikes, making the front drive train. Wish I could post some pictures, but I don't have a camera right now. Once I finish the bike and tweak it until it rides well, I'll try to motorize it. I'll keep you posted.

Robert

I watched that video on the blog, it looks comfortable and might even be more comfortable with a headreast for the long hall. The torching on the forks, I take it was for a Y-brake assembly? Front wheel drive would definately clear the way for any power train or even a 3 way powertrain.

I watched that video on the blog, it looks comfortable and might even be more comfortable with a headreast for the long hall. The torching on the forks, I take it was for a Y-brake assembly? Front wheel drive would definately clear the way for any power train or even a 3 way powertrain.

If you read the blog, you'll see that after the initial build he says that you have to take the wheel dish into account when bending the forks. That means that the right fork has to be bent out furter to accommodate the freewheel. (If you look at your rear triangle, the right side extends to the side more than the left side). I think he heated the forks to re-bend them.

What do you mean by a three-way powertrain?

Ya, that makes sense. 3-way power= Human front electric rear and gas motorized rear with the southpa freewheel for wich ever you use on your left side. Could use the crankset hole for one just a straight shot for the other. Or another shaft.
Was just spinning my wheels daydreaming.

Well, I recieved my so called FAT Southpaw freewheel and believe me, it's not what I ordered. Instead of the Black and gold case hardened 16 T x 3/16 LHD (left hand drive), they sent me a Chrome plated 18T x 3/32, Right hand drive freewheel. Go figure!
Their policy is swap only no refunds. This is from a bike shop in Ca. Won't mention any names unless they screw me over. Emailed them, and now the sit and wait game.
Too bad there isn't any reasonable bike shops in my area.
Oh! Well! Gotta go pump out our basement again. Past week floods! Argh!
Doc

Back