Side swiped by a large pick up truck a few minutes ago

L

Large Filipino

So there I was on a busy street. I was on the sidewalk (never again) I stopped. I push the button. The walk signal turns to that man figure thing telling me to walk. Here comes %^$#^...^%$%$#@%&....*&^%$%^&*!!!! in a full size pick up truck looking the other way. I'm SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER and he smacks Cronus right on my side sending me flying and cronus went DOWN!
Immediately I'm looking at my bike. I'm REALLY REALLY ****ED ^&**&^%$%#$@!!! Then here comes the driver. the driver is deaf. I'll say this again. THE DRIVER IS DEAF!!!!!!!! OMG!!
Cronus is alright. I'm alright too. I didn't hit my head at all. My legs feel a bit off. But I rode Cronus home. It's cool. I'm bad.
But man. This dude was crying,man. I mean he looked just ready to hang it up. I signed to him "money,no." because Cronus is fine. Engine is not cracked. Amazing considering what just happened. I do have three broken spokes. And my alignment went out a bit. 1/2 inch wrench fixed that.
What's cool is that he exchanged information with me and I think I made a friend,man. But man. Were letting deaf people drive,man. That's like the kid with their stereo turned up loud. That's like how in the world are we letting deaf people drive?
So as I was aligning my chain a cop pulled up for someone called the accident in. He told me that the "boys" have been looking at me and have been admiring my ride. I'm on the sidewalk,dawgs and he's really cool. He offered to write a police report but I'm fine,really. If I would have hit my head then I would go in an ambulance regardless.
The driver left me his phone number (???????) and an e-mail address. I'll do the e-mail address. :D
Sidewalks are dangerous. Side of the road much better.
I do have a slightly tweaked rim....naw. Replace those spokes,true the rim. I'm not gonna hit this man for a new rim. I'll mention it but... Man. This guy you could tell was poor. Naw.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was turning right and looking at traffic. I'm like right in his path and I see this 2 ton truck going right towards me with him looking the other way.
He could have ran me over.
I think I need psychological help now.
I'm gonna ride MOOP to finish off my bill paying then take a look at that rim tonight..

Last edited by a moderator:
glad you're ok Large - I'll take your advice and stay off the sidewalk - I only go on when there is no shoulder but I won't be doing that anymore let me tell ya.

i've seen this "example" posted a few times lately.

1st: large, i'm happy yer ok. tho i wish ya woulda taken the report in case something crops up later.

2nd: yeah, why the heck is a deaf person licensed? good deal that he turned out to be cool. and if i needed parts, i would hit him up, but for cost only. i'm poor too.

3rd: everyone...stay off the sidewalk!! even tho we know right-turn bang-ups are common with bicycling, no motorist is expecting sidewalk traffic to be moving so fast. plus, in case noone noticed...there's people walking there...i'm pretty sure that's why it's called a "walk" :p

Last edited:
...3rd: everyone...stay off the sidewalk!! even tho we know right-turn bang-ups are common with bicycling, no motorist is expecting sidewalk traffic to be moving so fast. plus, in case noone noticed...there's people walking there...i'm pretty sure that's why it's called a "walk" :p
I'd go even farther than that.
Most of the times I've been neary run over were drivers making a right-hand turn, who were looking to their left, and not using their turn signals. I always use a rear-view mirror on my glasses and always watch for turn signals, and when making right turns a lot of drivers don't bother.

When I pull up at a stoplight or stop sign now and there's a lot of car traffic, I move left into the middle of the lane of traffic and make the cars behind me wait. It's the one thing you can do to make sure that this never happens again.
~

i agree...i always take my lane at intersections...too bad if motorists don't like it, it's my right, and it's safer than counting on them to not kill me.

This situation with right hand turns is a big problem in Portland, with several fatalities already. In my car, a cyclist did the same thing, and ran into my right side (or did I run into him?). Now, some intersections have special painted areas, boxes, right near the light, but I'm not sure that will solve it.

That's messed up we let deaf people drive.

Letting deaf people drive is no different than letting rich people drive their luxury cars around with the windows up. They can't hear carp over their bose system either.

Back