Sidevalve shopper

Hello folks.
Thought you might be interested in some mods I've made to my side valve shopper. There are some other pics in the 'introduce yourself-lawnmower subversion in Devon' thread.
I've just added the vertical stays, a front brake and sorted the gear change for the motor. It now sports 3 speeds and works a dream. Pulls up a 20% hill and lops along on the flat at a good lick with a relaxed rpm

There's a vid of it on utube. Search for 'homemade motored bike demo' if you're interested.

Attachments

• tec1a.JPG
    tec1a.JPG
    517.7 KB · Views: 582
  • tec2a.JPG
    tec2a.JPG
    550.5 KB · Views: 572
  • tec3a.JPG
    tec3a.JPG
    676 KB · Views: 523
Last edited by a moderator:
That is amazing. I don't get though how you get three gears out of that.
BRAVO.

I wonder how long that three speed hub will last with a engine load on it?It was made for pedal power shifting.Looks like some great fab work on making it and a great idea if it holds up.GOOD LUCK !!! GREAT IDEA SNAIL !!!

And here I was all proud of myself for installing a couple of happy time motors :)

But when this man says "I built it", he really means it.

Good job!

Hello folks.
Thought you might be interested in some mods I’ve made to my side valve shopper. There are some other pics in the ‘introduce yourself-lawnmower subversion in Devon’ thread.
I’ve just added the vertical stays, a front brake and sorted the gear change for the motor. It now sports 3 speeds and works a dream. Pulls up a 20% hill and lops along on the flat at a good lick with a relaxed rpm

There’s a vid of it on utube. Search for 'homemade motored bike demo' if you're interested.

Ye gods that motor brings back memories.... my dad used to have a lawnmower with that very engine on it - it was the living death to start it - even for him but I used to love that old thing - the electric ones just arent the same :(

Incidentally have you heard of the hudspith steam bike... slow but fun...

My current ride is a 1.6hp 32cc GEBE - soon to be fitted with the relevant tuned pipe which should give it between 25-30% more power from what I have read :D

Incidentally are you using something like a sturmey archer hub to provide transmission?

Have fun with it

Jemma xx

face plant

Well the 3 speed hub is working fine after a good 30 miles I rekon.
It got the ultimate test the other day when I let a nutter mate have a go.
I just assumed he'd take it easy on a bodge up machine, but no. He must have been doing 35mph (in flip flops and shorts) when he went past me. Afterwards I mentioned the posibility of the secondary chain de-railing, locking the front wheel and engaging his face with the tarmac!

I think I'll stick to my Ducati for the speed kicks.
Have fun with your bikes friends.

Back