Siezed Clutch Gears & Plates

BoltsMissing

Local time
6:00 AM
I posted this earlier on another thread as Reply, was meant to be new Thread.
Apologies...

These symptoms have progressed over the past 2 weeks. At first I thought it was the HT standard cable, then it actualy was the ball bearing where the pin goes in, that original ball bearing disintegrated 2 weeks after the 50cc fired up. I think I posted that problem somewhere and was rescued by one of our fellow bikers.

Today, it seems to have siezed completely, meaning I press the clutch lever in and there is no disengagement of the clutch. Cable is tight, and all else looks normal.

Removed clutch cover, unscrewed flat star adjusting nut, removed 15 clutch pads.
The plate with the 3 prongs still turns the engine.

Removed Clutch lever, removed pin, all lookss fine.

Inspected the outer perimeter of the 3 prong plate, it seems stuck/siezed on the plate that holds the 15 clutch pads.
With all the above removed, the engine turns when rotating the back wheel with the chain on.

Is this the symptoms of siezed clutch plates ?

Update;
Just removed the large engine gear using the special tool.
It seems siezed, the plate with the 3 pins is jammed up, won't spin freely.
Have not got a clue what caused it.

Tell us how

Hi can you tell us how you unseized it, what was causing it??
Is there some sort of bearing that joins the fly wheel to the center sproket (the one with the three pins on it)???
The fly wheels held there some how and no one in this group seems to know.
I've asked a few times.

and no one in this group seems to knowI've asked a few times. .

Oh really, no one seems to know, huh ?

With all due respect and honour;
Well, I tell what, get your fly wheel off, the one the with the 3 pins, take a picture, post the picture here on this thread so we KNOW we ain't being taken for granted for OUR or MY effort.
That way we know you just ain't passing by, OK ?

I bet my bottom dollar, by the time you take the 3 pin fly wheel off due to "seizure" when it happens, it will be fixed and all your questions will be answered !

Last edited:
Apology

Hey look I should have worded my sentence differently.
Instead of saying no one knows, I should have said know one has replied.
When your saying for me to take mine off and take pictures, I'm not real sure if your having a go at me, but anyway mine hasn't seised it's just real noisy after a piece of **** inside the cover jamed up in the teeth. I know that if I have a crack at it my self I have no doubt that I'll get it of,, but it's just easer if you know how at the start. I do appreciate the effort that others have put into this group.

No prob.

Those noises might be these tiny little bearings where the middle plate is with the 3 pins.
Mine stuffed up agaiin, the bearings are no longer.
I had a spare clutch and here's what I did before it went on the engine.

For some reason, thiose bearings get no lube. I don't know what the procedure is at this point to lube the bearings while the large gear/clutch plate is on the shaft.
Maybe sumwun can share how to or what goes, perhaps even our local builders can have a say, it seems Fetor and I do most of the talking, so how about it fellas, chalk it up a bit ?

Anyway,
But the spare one I put on, I used chain lube in a spray can and let it seep down in the narrow gap, rotating at the same time.
I got the can of Shell Chain Lube in a spray can from a go-cart shop.

Good Luck with it.

I haven't heard of that problem before. If the bearing has a seal sort of thing on it, it should be "maintenance free". But I think there may be a contradiction between "maintenance free" and "Made in China". I'm not sure if the chain lube is thick enough to stay on the bearings, but I don't see how you can get anything better in there. If you can replace the bearing with one made somewhere in the civilised world (oops probly not PC), that should take care of the problem.

If the bearing has a seal sort of thing on it, it should be "maintenance free". But I think there may be a contradiction between "maintenance free" and

Gee I went to see about cameras and I cannot justify the prices of these things for brand new 7 megapixels with rechargable batteries.

So I'll use words instead unless sumwun can post a shot.

alaskavan, it is not the sealed bearing on the shaft that seized.
It's the tiny bearings, about 50 of them, ( did not count any) that sit inside underneath the round piece where the 3 pins are. The round piece that holds the gear where you put the fibre clutch pads is the bearing's cone. Pry off the cone and the little bearings fall out, be ready to catch them.
There is no seal, which means if one thinks they are going to wash the shiny plate where the pads rub on with solvent or whatever, it will dry out those tiny bearings.
When the clutch is disengaged, that's when those bearings come into effect.

To correctly lubricate those bearings, the way I figure it now is, where ya have the 3 pins, there are 3 other holes on that plate. The allignment of those holes seem to be in direct proportion to allow the lube go directly to the tiny bearings. But you have to remove the entire clutch assembly using the special pully tool to do this. Therefore it's a mandatory periodic service requirement now in my books.

I just done a 20 mile test ride with the used clutch plate assembly from a
70cc on the 50cc. No problems, no noises and no seizures.
The design is OK, I think then the quality of the bearing material/steel is then in doubt, and the cone's case hardening is inferior to.

But design wise for simplicity and concept, brilliant.

Last edited:
Back