Silencer packing.

Spare_Parts

Local time
2:44 PM
Need to pack the silencer on the Yasuni pipe and not sure which one to pick. Yasuni has their "kit" that comes with a stainless steel mesh and ceramic packing which is enough for one repack. Then you have bulk ceramic packing that can do it twice and comes in 4 or 8 pound. Also found a carbon fiber wrap that goes between the baffle and mat that is supposed to help with hp losse and extend the time between repacks.

I don't have the stock stainless mesh and the pipe looked like it was packed with oil soaked dryer lint lol. No pick because I didn't want to get that s**t all over the phone.

Anyone have some input? Louder is better and would like extended repack intervals.

You need input on output? I thought you RHT builders (that's Really Happy Times) just blasted owls out the trees in the name of chinagirl science, testing stuff out :LOL:

Sorry, I got nothing. My 4-stroke "Chonda" blew it's cigar muffler off years ago and I listen to The Cars pretty loud.

Lol, this pipe is actually pretty quiet with the factory packing. I do like it kinda loud but not unmuffled (is that a word?) out of the expansion chamber loud. I also don't want to repack once a month.

Stainless packing will last longer than fiberglass, is usually louder, and won't change tone over time. Never tried ceramic but I expect it would be somewhere in the middle for loudness, also will last a long time, and not change sound over time either. Carbon Fiber wrap sounds like a waste of money to me, it is very dense so would basically be making the muffler more of a straight through tube which you can get the same effect by just packing the can tighter.

Fiberglass is super cheap, has a break-in period where it gets more drone over time, and doesn't last long before needing repacking.

Contrary to what some think, on a perforated tube exhaust like most aftermarket cans the tighter you pack it the louder it is since less soundwaves go through the baffle and into the packing and more exit straight out the exhaust - so if you want loud and long lasting, I would pack it tightly with stainless mesh. On a louvered exhaust like the old school glasspacks, sometimes it is the opposite and gets louder over time since a lot of the sound is forced into the packing by the little fins so as the packing wears out the sound increases.

Like my homemade muffler!

I ordered a kit from Amazon that has 3 layers.

Heck yeah before these larger upgrades to the SBP pipe i did the scrubbing pad thing lol seen it on YT :p

Worked!

(y)

Thank you for your help Brother!

You are certainly an inspiration to buold better.

My budget don't allow it right now with a Family but it is a great money saving hobby to say the least! :)

Back