Simple chain drive setup...

s_beaudry

Local time
7:37 AM
Ok, I have this idea for a rack mount setup, looking for your thoughts as to whether it will work or not...

I will be using this engine, so keep this in mind....

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...haft+Overhead+Valve+LOS+7000+RPM+No+Fuel+Tank

The engine has a 5/8" driveshaft on it which is very nice! I want to use a standard 5/8" bore centrifugal clutch commonly used for gokarts and such with a 10 tooth #41 chain sprocket on it as pictures here...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200310372_200310372

I would run the chain down to a standard 44 or 48 tooth sprocket (standard HT kit sprocket) on the back rim.

Of course I will have to work in a tensioner somewhere for the chain, but should not be too difficult.

I have read a few threads on here that say you can run a #41 chain on them.

My questions are...

Would this setup work on a bicycle?

Is a gear ratio of 4.4 to 1 good for power?

Just to be sure, this is a standard CCW engine, correct?

Not enough reduction

The set up you describe is not near enough reduction. You need to get in the neighbor hood of 18.75:1 total reduction to have a viable motord bike with the Honda motor. Also The clutch you are thinking about may give you problems with the Honda motor. Its made for motors that idle at alot lower rpm than the Hondas 2000 rpm idle and the motors its designed for only rev to 3600 rpm rather than the Hondas 7200 rpm range. The Honda is CCW rotation.

ocscully

Last edited:
I'm actually looking to utilize the GXH50QHA myself. Where can I get the proper clutch for this?

Thanks for any help! :D

www.staton-inc.com

Honda GXH50 Adaptor QXA 1.5 inch thick

Aditional Image(s):

Adaptor CNC machined for the Honda GXH50 QXA type engine. This has four drilled and tapped holes 6 mm x 1.0 and four counter drilled holes for the 1/4-28 FINE thread x 1-1/2 inch long socket head cap screws. This is a custom machined part so the Honda GXH50 can be used with the Staton-Inc drive systems like our 18.75 to 1 gear boxes, friction drive kits, double bearing clutch housings and some other brands of equipment.
This adaptor can now be used without cutting the shaft of the engine to use with the Staton brand gear boxes and our friction drive kits.
Price: $55.00
Quantity
Color Gray

Send To Friend

The products below were also bought by people who bought Honda GXH50 Adaptor QXA 1.5 inch thick
Honda GXH50 Clutch Rotor Super Duty 3 shoe
Honda GXH50 49.3 cc 2.10 hp 15.8 mm - 5/8
3/16" x 1/2" round key
6 MM x 18MM Fender Washer, Zinc
1/4-28 x 1-1/4 FINE thread, Socket Head Cap Screw.

Related Products. The products below are related to Honda GXH50 Adaptor QXA 1.5 inch thick
1 DBCA 15 mm Double bearing clutch Assembly
1/4-28 x 1/2 FINE THREAD Button Head
1/4-28 x 1-1/2 FINE thread, Socket Head Cap Screw.
6 MM x 18MM Fender Washer, Zinc
Double Bearing Clutch housing Assembly 1/2 inch OD Shaft
GC Gear & Chain Drive kit - NO ENGINE
Gear Box 3.11 to 1 reduction small compact gear box
Honda GXH50 49.3 cc 2.10 hp 15.8 mm - 5/8
Honda GXH50 Clutch Rotor 76 mm OD, 15.8 mm - .62204 / 5/8
Honda GXH50 Clutch Rotor Super Duty 3 shoe

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully I haven't overlooked something but I don't plan on using the gear reduction box, I only need the clutch with a housing around it that has a sprocket on that for a chain. (not sure what the housing would be called, if you would like to enlighten me so that I wont sound like a moron next time I would appreciate it). Basically I just need a typical go cart centrifugal clutch that can handle 7000 RPMs and engages just above this engine idle speed; which I think I read somewhere is 2000 RPMs. I intend to create my own gear reduction system.

Thanks for any help!

search the go kart sites for clutches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply! Hopefully I haven't overlooked something but I don't plan on using the gear reduction box, I only need the clutch with a housing around it that has a sprocket on that for a chain. (not sure what the housing would be called, if you would like to enlighten me so that I wont sound like a moron next time I would appreciate it). Basically I just need a typical go cart centrifugal clutch that can handle 7000 RPMs and engages just above this engine idle speed; which I think I read somewhere is 2000 RPMs. I intend to create my own gear reduction system.

Thanks for any help!

The clutch linked to above includes the clutch bell that has the chain driver attached. The housing talked about in other posts in this thread is an adapter that allows the Honda GXH50 to be mounted to various reduction gear boxes that are readily available for the smaller weed-wacker type of motors. So for the type of drive train I believe you are thinking about you do not need this housing. One fearture you may want to consider in a clutch would be that the clutch can be mounted with the driver either inboard or outboard. Having the clutch mounted to the motor with the driver inboard allows you to keep the motor mounted closer to the centerline of the bike. This is a big plus in my opinion. Also you want to be sure that the clutch comes with the shaft extender bushing for mounting onto the short shaft of the Honda motor.

ocscully

Ah! Clutch bell..I'm sure to sound much more intelligent now. Thanks a ton for the help, I'm going to search around and see if I can get it any cheaper. Are there any specific numbers I need to look for in order to find out if it will work with a typical bike chain?

Ok, so I found that bike chain is #40. Now I'm looking for the shaft extender bushing. Do you know how long of one I will need or is that going to depend solely upon which centrifugal clutch I choose. Also should I be looking for a clutch that is smaller than 4"OD?

Thanks again for all your help!

Am I missing something, a 10 tooth drive sprocket to a 44 tooth driven sprocket on a 26" wheel, ain't gonna work. I know I've got something wrong, what is it?

Back