Simple Reed Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all this great info!! I'm still learning about these things. I should say that my engine is a pk-80 (with the shorter connecting rod), 40mm stroke, and my friend ported it for me on a mill. I'm using a 6cc Fredhead clone. Also, I'm using a good expansion pipe and I scored a FMF powercore 2 silencer for it too. Which carb would you recommend for one of the 4's or 6's?? This smaller 2 that I asked about looked very easy but I was wondering if I would even notice a difference with it. Here is a pic of the bike I want to upgrade with a reed valve.
View attachment 79721 View attachment 79722
Thats a nice ride! If you went with the 4 peddal OZ reed Then the Mikuni or any 18-19mm carb should work ok.The 6 peddal reed or Dio set up requires the base plate and the cylinder machined for it to fit,or you can buy it complete but then it's more money of course.Then it would also need a bigger carb around 21-24 works well, Zeda has used up to a 34mm on the Dio reed but thats fully worked.

Robert used an oko 34mm on a stock motor in one of his videos of him going around his neighborhood...ran awesome but he failed to mention 2 or 3 days later blew that motor up...lol

Probably too lean...sounded that way up top anyways...lean misfire.

Robert used an oko 34mm on a stock motor in one of his videos of him going around his neighborhood...ran awesome but he failed to mention 2 or 3 days later blew that motor up...lol

Probably too lean...sounded that way up top anyways...lean misfire.
Come on now your falling for the hype how could he even begin to claim that was a stock engine stop and think about that for a moment, firstly the dio reed set up is nowhere even close to being stock anything,the bottom end on his engines are reworked the pipe is not stock the head is not stock and the list goes on.Stock to me means your using it as it came out of the factory no add on's, cleaned up casting flaws and ports is ok and needed but other than that as soon as parts are swapped out it's not stock anymore.

A Dio Reed set up with whatever you need to do to install it...im sure it was one of the cylinders he sells which is port matched on the intake side only and nothing done to the exhaust and comes with the plate...the oko carb and mz65 pipe were the only other changes to an otherwise stock motor.

I doubt it was one of his prepped bottom ends and if it was their are no real power gains there anyways...just reliability and maybe a more efficient rev capability...the zeda80 has a tight built in " case stuff" to it already and why lie and say no cut piston or not mention a windowed piston?

I saw 2 videos of the same Dio set ups..the other one had all these mods you feel the first motor has and I'm sure a prepped bottom end....maybe it's just me but I could tell the difference between the two set ups.

You don't even really have to port match the plate or the intake to the plate for it to be a big difference in power.

Last edited:
Okay, I appreciate both of you sharing your knowledge! It sounds like you both believe that this 2 peddle one wouldn't give me much more throttle response and torque, and just so I understand, it also wouldn't require much of any porting except getting the piston? Would you guys say that's pretty accurate with regards to this 2 peddal one? It's too bad really, I liked that it had no offset and works with my current carb, but if it sucks, it sucks, haha. My PK80 has 47mm cylinder with 8mm studs and came with a 32mm intake that has been ported. I'm currently using a 15mm billet intake. The bottom end is a 40mm stroke.

It sounds like the 4 peddle OZ one sounds like the one to get. How difficult is it to port for someone who is still kind of a beginner? It's possible I can ask my friend with the mill to do it, but he's a busy man and I should really learn it. I have a flexible multi speed dremel. It would be okay if I have to get another cylinder. I will do some more reading up on these things and I will shop around for the 4 peddle ones and see what I can find.

Thank you

The 2 petal Reed WILL give you more bottom end and throttle response.

It's a great bolt on and will work with your stock carb and I'm not sure what porting job your friend did for you but it should work with it being the the size of the port on the smaller Reed isn't really all that big.

A 4 petal like we mentioned will cost you a bit more with a carb and you may need more intake port work as well....It will work on the same principle the 2 petal Reed will but with more power in general in pretty much the same rpm ranges.

Last edited:
A Dio Reed set up with whatever you need to do to install it...im sure it was one of the cylinders he sells which is port matched on the intake side only and nothing done to the exhaust and comes with the plate...the oko carb and mz65 pipe were the only other changes to an otherwise stock motor.

I doubt it was one of his prepped bottom ends and if it was their are no real power gain there anyways...just reliability and maybe a more efficient rev capability.

I saw 2 videos of the same Dio set ups..the other one had all these mods you feel the first motor has and I'm sure a prepped bottom end....maybe it's just me but I could tell the difference between the two.

You don't even really have to port match the plate or the intake to the plate for it to be a big difference in general.
Wow dude take a good look at one first of all and most prelavent is that the jug is machined to accept the adaptor plate witch shortens the intake runner and the port is greatly altered from stock. He says that the exhaust is not done and it's not as far as timming goes but it has been widened over stock to get the flow rates right and be able to expell all that extra intake volume and not cook the engine.As for the carb and pipe being the only other not stock parts those combined with that type reed is the exact meaning of a modified engine.That combination done right yeilds alot more usable power over stock and that's the whole point in doing it just be cause he now offers it predone for consumers doesn't make it stock.

Wow dude take a good look at one first of all and most prelavent is that the jug is machined to accept the adaptor plate witch shortens the intake runner and the port is greatly altered from stock. He says that the exhaust is not done and it's not as far as timming goes but it has been widened over stock to get the flow rates right and be able to expell all that extra intake volume and not cook the engine.As for the carb and pipe being the only other not stock parts those combined with that type reed is the exact meaning of a modified engine.That combination done right yeilds alot more usable power over stock and that's the whole point in doing it just be cause he now offers it predone for consumers doesn't make it stock.

The bottom end and cylinder head we're stock..he mentioned the changes made..maybe not in full detail but he did.

I'll talk to Robert again soon and see if he will give me more details on it but I'm pretty sure he already did last time we spoke.

If you buy a stock motor and add his Dio Reed set up and the mz65 pipe you will get similar results as in the video he did using a 44t sprocket...just be sure to watch temps with the stock head and not run it lean like he did and blow it up.

The RSE or Zeda reed from ZedaMotorsports ONLY comes as a 40mm stud spacing the ones from MZ like the poster reffered to have both the 32mm and 40mm spacing and the price is the same only difference being the peddal materail and the fiber glass ones that MZ use open better and dont require the ends being properly squared and epoxied to stop the carbon fraying and getting sucked into the engine.
Moderators Note:
Please be aware that Zeda Motor Sports and Robert Bianchi have nothing to do with Zeda itself which is a manufacturer of Zeda Motors in China.
A reputable vendor of the Zeda line of motors can be found at bicycle-engines.com
The sizing is the other way around actually. MZ Miami reed valve only comes as a 40mm bolt spacing, and the RSE reed valve by Zeda (sold on eBay by BMW) can be either a 32mm or a 40mm bolt spacing. :)

I'm stuck with 32mm bolt spacing unfortunately, so I can't have the "fibre glass ones that.. open better" but MZ's shipping prices are completely random and messed up anyway, puts me right off. £9 to ship a head, but £35 to ship a reed valve; £12 to ship a 12t, but £17 to ship an 11t ! :eek:
What the hell MZ? :mad:

Okay, I appreciate both of you sharing your knowledge! It sounds like you both believe that this 2 peddle one wouldn't give me much more throttle response and torque, and just so I understand, it also wouldn't require much of any porting except getting the piston? Would you guys say that's pretty accurate with regards to this 2 peddal one? It's too bad really, I liked that it had no offset and works with my current carb, but if it sucks, it sucks, haha. My PK80 has 47mm cylinder with 8mm studs and came with a 32mm intake that has been ported. I'm currently using a 15mm billet intake. The bottom end is a 40mm stroke.

It sounds like the 4 peddle OZ one sounds like the one to get. How difficult is it to port for someone who is still kind of a beginner? It's possible I can ask my friend with the mill to do it, but he's a busy man and I should really learn it. I have a flexible multi speed dremel. It would be okay if I have to get another cylinder. I will do some more reading up on these things and I will shop around for the 4 peddle ones and see what I can find.

Thank you
You may have to replace the cylinder and do your porting again and window the piston for the OZ 4 petal reed because it too is sized for the 40mm stud spacing and the port matching would be to tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back