Simpson 09 prototype unvieled

Hi all, well criminy! I was not gonna show this frame till I'd done a bunch of stuff, but....... Myron, you know
who you are!!! I've been holding out on taking pics, and showing this for about 3 months as I was looking
forward to putting the OHV Whizzer in it. Making it into a full motorcycle, and showing it then.
318_Model_09_Left_1.jpg

318_Model_09_right_1.jpg

My wife, Diane is standing by this most recent addition to the stable. She is only 5'6" so you-all can
see the scale of the bike. I was able to stand over the top bar, and "squat" on it, to compress the
springs, to install the new longer rebound springs. The earlier rebound springs were
not stiff enuff, resulting in the fork "lifting" when front brake was applied hard.
I dunno what I'm gonna do next, perhaps build the 09, or 10 model, but I will need to have a real
solid idea of it's potential before I will contract 10 bikes to be fabbed.

Mike

09 revisited

Hi all, thanks for the kind comments, I really appreciate it.

My Model 10 is in another state in a secret laboratory (pronounced la BOOR a tory) being emotionally disected by a factory famous for its work, including frames for Big Dog Choppers, and Saxon.

After being photographed in the nude (she's never seen paint), the pics were loaded into the puter, digitalized in Cad, and off to water jet for cutting. I'm very excited to see this work!

I'm engaging a friend who is a graphics wizard, to desigh and do my stripes and logo this time. Maybe I need to divert from "Homemade" about now?

This leaves me without that old prototype for the second time, 2 weeks to chop her, and now she's been gone 2 more I think. So, "Whats a feller to do?"

The 09 has been resting, and I could not live with the increased rear wheelbase so I spent about 3 hours sunday afternoon designing new dropouts to fit the bike, reducing the wheelbase so that the 84760 belt will again fit.

I went to steel house and had 2 pieces of 3/16th's sheared to shape, and now must tack them together, so when I carve them on my table-saw, they will be identical. (oddly I did say table saw).

Currently, Power is the BTR OHV whizzer, and we'll be seeing in the near future how she runs, tho I'm bummed about having to make, jig, and weld the dropouts myself. I've made an intake manifold, ex manifold, and headpipe already, I have the brass to make the breather, and steel for the old-timey Indian style 2" muffler, tho I still must build an air cleaner.

Currently, I have no plans to change anything other than the rear end, and then will need to attack the toolbox, which I think will not be the full flat type, but rather a cylinder, or triangle shape.

I do not see any advantage to migrate the 09 into the Model 10's configuration, and am still toying with color. My gut feeling is that 09 should be Indian Red, and the Model 10 to be Renault Grey, with either red or maroon stripes and lettering. I will be full fendering both bikes, they will not be the "Racer" format.

I do have plain engine covers, so when the time is right I can have someone carve Simpson Motor Company into the engine cover. It sometimes amazes me how difficult it is to do things the "old timey" way.

Mike

Model 09 revisited

Hi Zomby and thanks, there are many things I would like to ask you about your bike!

I've been working on the 09 since I do not have the model 10 prototype to refine, as it is in others hands now. I carved new dropouts, and jigged and installed them. There is much work to be done there till it looks the way I want, partially do to some of my misconceptions in the tube slots of the dropouts.

Made the drop stand, and it's stops, and did a quick assembly to check everything, and I think it's gonna work! ??? The 84760 belt is in place, and I got to make the tension spring adapter (Center Pulley), and a bunch of other stuff.

Mike

Attachments

• MODEL9A.jpg
    MODEL9A.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 291
  • MODEL9B.jpg
    MODEL9B.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 334
Model 09, nearing "Firing Time"

Hi all, production continues in AZ on model 10, much news, none confirmed.

Model 09 is progressing nicely, more to do tomorrow, I got news that OHV #1 got 155 miles on it this weekend down in Central Coast.

I'm excited about running mine (#002) he's reporting 45 clocked with no problems, and blasting up over hills. That will be fun!

Here are a few pics of yet incomplete Model 09 Prototype. I'm excited to be able to climb aboard, and hear the new Brass Muffler, roaring out it's approval.

Mike

Attachments

• mod09 lt rr.jpg
    mod09 lt rr.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 266
  • MOD09S.jpg
    MOD09S.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 353
  • Model09 3-4ft.jpg
    Model09 3-4ft.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 262
Back