Since you asked for an introduction...

F

frh

You said you didn't need a life story, but you'd read it... I just want to make sure my motive for being here is out in the open.

I live in Queen Creek, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix. This time last year walking across a room hurt the inflamed ligaments in my knees and the plantar faciitis in my feet. The pain started the moment my bladder forced me out of bed (hey, I'm in my late 50's). I had to go down stairs backwards because I couldn't trust my knees not to buckle.

I lived in so much pain, everytime I saw someone get out of a car parked in a handicapped space and walk into a store without a cane, I wanted to beat the stuffing out of them. Or at least say something nasty. What I do for a living has been taking it's toll on my knees and feet for a lot of years. On a good day, I used a cane when I got home at night. On a bad day I needed a walker. By the way, there's no way I could tolerate the pain in my crotch or back from riding a bike for more than a few minutes.

Last Christmas my wife bought me a recumbent "tadpole trike." For the first time I found a way to exercise that didn't hurt. It was a hoot riding it a couple of miles around the neighborhood. But I wanted to ride 10 or 12 miles at a time and it sat so low I was paranoid about being run-over by a Soccor Mom texting on her cell phone.

Last April I bought a Burley Canto with a Golden Eagle RedMax 2 stroke engine. (It turned out to be a very sweet recumbent.) The Student I bought it from lived in a hilly area and used it to ride around campus. He told me the motor was about a half-year old.

But riding with motor assist was not compatible with what I bought the bike for. I let it push me around the block once. It worked really great and didn't affect the handling of the bike any more than a bag of groceries would. Except for starting it every couple of months, it's just been sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Unfortunately, I accidentally ran over the Canto with my truck. I wound up replacing it with a half-dozen other used recumbents while I was in my busy season. Nothing seemed to fit quite like that Canto. The good news is that I actually ride several of them on a regular basis. (And I'm getting ready to sell the ones I don't ride.)

Update: It's been months since I've had any pain in my feet or knees! Heck, I don't even need the orthotics in my shoes any more. Who could have guessed riding a bicycle would make that much difference?

So why am I here? I had an expensive equipment repair a couple of months ago. It's affecting the survival of my 15 year old business. I need to sell some stuff. So I'm going through the garage...

I came here to see what I could get for that motor. I registered in order to access the "For Sale" section of the forum. Unfortunately, searching the forum didn't help me figure out what it's worth.

Reading all of those posts made me pretty comfortable with you guys. I hope you'll help me figure out what it's worth and perhaps even help me sell it.

Thanks, Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to MBc ! :D
Me and my son-in-law (azvinnie) are not far from you in fountain hills
what make/model is your engine ?
you can post questions on it down in the bike,engine,parts forum and then post in buy n sell when you know what its worth

Welcome to MBc. Looks like you got a Golden Eagle kit. You should have no problems finding the info you are looking for, or a buyer.

drimpact, thanks for the welcome. I just went out and started the motor. Runs fine. Turns out if was manufactured in August of 05. What I need to know is what's it worth?

anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it
Gebe says 569$ new
you would have to price it accordingly (taking into account wear/tear...etc)
you should make a post down in buy n sell and see what kind of response you get

Welcome to Mbc.Hope you hang around other than just to sell your Gebe kit

Back