Single or multi-speed(7-speed)

Are the caliper type brakes any better... No proper terms here.
Are the brake pads on rims better than calipers? I kno calipers look better and brake pads on rims rub paint off and expose under laying rim....
And if caliper type brakes are better how do you install those properly on a bike made for the brake pads on rim type?
I don't know the proper terms.
All I know is a multi-speed beach cruiser is very nice and I wonder about those bikes that have shocks on them but I know for a fact the ones with the back shocks have very little or no room to mount engine in the Triangle.
I've noticed at high speeds my front forks might wobble or maybe it's a tire when I hold onto the handlebars with one hand like I'm puffing on my vape down the street...
also I've noticed my back wheell seems to wobble more just like the front one at high speeds im wondeeing if I should replace the rims. I have the rims off my old bike and their aluminum and the spokes are stronger. Both 26 in but they are cream color and I would have to paint them pumpkin orange and I'm wondering what the best brakes are that won't rub the paint off it.
Idk. Brake pad style have always rubbed the paint off eventually. Caliper style brakes would avoid this but how do I mount the system and is it on hydralic juice like cars or is it just like a normal brake with wire lever puller?

Also. Rim style brakes... How do you keep the white walls clean... Lol.... Gotta have white walls. . its a beach cruiser.... LoL

V-brakes are easier to find pads for, do an install and adjust, although I think all good quality rim brakes stop pretty equally.

A set of 1980's Shimano Deerhead cantilevers are pretty decent brakes, it's just finding the older stud mount brake pads that are getting harder to find, especially for the grey KoolStop and Mathauser pads. Shimano doesn't make OEM pads from their old stud type cantis anymore.

Whitewalls? and rim brakes? you need some strong detergent like SuperClean Foaming, and never let any of the greyish rim braking powder dry on the white walls after riding in the rain. The sidewalls are effectively stained if you allow that aluminum wear stuff to dry onto them.

You need lower and higher gears. Why would you invest in a bike with a single speed. That means.... You have less free motion on your legs... And one brake that can road rash your back wheel unevenly.
Explain why you invest when a single speed is a failure.

A properly set up single speed is not a failure, it's a simple, reliable system that performs just fine.
You might need more gears for a 2-stroke bike, but with a 4-stroke and the right gearing, you get hill climbing ability, a reasonable top speed and no need to pedal, ever. You're sending all the power thru a 415 chain that can take the strain rather than a bike chain that maybe can, maybe can't. As for brakes, hub brakes (disc and/or drum) are easy to fit and do the job better than rim brakes, especially when wet.

DSC00520-1.jpg

Pictured: 35mph top end, stops in 40 feet, climbs an 11% grade at 20 mph, handles like a dream.

Back