Single speed conversion

It's like if you merge the two worlds together you become better at both
I will thank you for the "Cyclist Terminology" (y) because up to just last year I knew nothing about frame sizes and how their measured

Since a child I always called a bicycle frame by the wheel size 24" 26" or 27" A 24" frame fit 24" wheels, a 26" frame fit 26" wheels ect...
If a bike was different than what we were used to seeing We called it a Custom Bike and it had a Custom Frame.
Actually I never hung out at a bike shop or knew any true cyclists to tell me different. Until Sidewinder came along :LOL:

Here's my favorite frame calculator. If you could have a custom frame built made; it'll tell you the ideal frame geometry for your particular body build. Therefore you should try to get a manufactured frame that's as close as possible to what would be your ideal frame geometry for your particular body build.

Then all one needs to do is adjust the bike to where it'll give you maximum comfort while riding.

Here's my favorite frame calculator. If you could have a custom frame built made; it'll tell you the ideal frame geometry for your particular body build. Therefore you should try to get a manufactured frame that's as close as possible to what would be your ideal frame geometry for your particular body build.

Then all one needs to do is adjust the bike to where it'll give you maximum comfort while riding.

BTW what's the frame size of a Traditional men's 26" beach cruiser bike? If I learned it I forgot :LOL:

Do you know that China makes their beach cruiser frames about 2" smaller (shorter in wheel distance) than what USA made their cruiser frames back in the 40s to 70s

Last edited:
BTW what's the frame size of a Traditional men's 26" beach cruiser bike? If I learned it I forgot :LOL:

Do you know that China makes their beach cruiser frames about 2" smaller than what USA made their cruiser frames back in the 40s and 50s
Bicycle shops do sell cruisers in varing sizes. Though they'll cost more than a department store one.

For a cyclist the tripod position gives them maximum comfort and speed along with securing their feet to the pedals. We however have the advantage of assisted power. Meaning we can use less efficient cycling positions and modify the frame for our comfort. For instance the Sidewinder isn't suitable for people over 5'10" tall; I'm 6'2". So I raised the head set up to where I can ride in an upright position. This is fine as long as I have engine power to assist me. If the engine failed then I'd have a lot of power loss due to suspension systems, body position and frame size.

As for the cruisers use the calculator to figure put the ideal frame geometry for your particular body build on both a road bike and a mountian bike. Then go about half way between the differences of the two, that should give you a good idea of a cruiser frame size for your build. Take a tape measure with you once you're armed with this knowledge and measure the tubes and stays on the bike.

I love steel frames. Because once you get a manufactured frame close to your ideal frame geometry, you can make it even closer with a welder. This is how I kept my disc in the rear with a rack mount.
20210216_221805.jpg

20210419_135816.jpg
20210316_125754.jpg

A "True Cyclist" won't be putting any kind of helper motor on his bike. Maybe 'roids but no motor.
Well that's where you're wrong, many are like me disabled now but still enjoy riding. Therefore an assist system allows them to do that. I was on a Cycling forum for many years; Yahoo Answers (Cycling). Unfortunately YA has recently shut down.

My goal here is to educate, so riders understand the cycling perspective of their builds. Sadly many here may know how to balance and move the bike forward but don't know how to use it as a functional vehicle. I hope to change that.

Well that's where you're wrong, many are like me disabled now but still enjoy riding. Therefore an assist system allows them to do that. I was on a Cycling forum for many years; Yahoo Answers (Cycling). Unfortunately YA has recently shut down.

My goal here is to educate, so riders understand the cycling perspective of their builds. Sadly many here may know how to balance and move the bike forward but don't know how to use it as a functional vehicle. I hope to change that.
Good luck with that. You will have to educate everyone on the road then, bicycles, M/Cs, cars and tractors. I drive for a living and I see all kinds of BS on the roads from my cab. I'm a relaxed, I'll get there when I get there kind of driver, so I see lots of antics on the road.

Good luck with that. You will have to educate everyone on the road then, bicycles, M/Cs, cars and tractors. I drive for a living and I see all kinds of BS on the roads from my cab. I'm a relaxed, I'll get there when I get there kind of driver, so I see lots of antics on the road.
There's always going to be idiots regardless of what vehicle they're using. Who I can reach is the ones I personally come in contact with and through the forums. If I can teach someone on here to become a better cyclist, it'll greatly up their chances of not being in an accident due to lack of cycling skills. Here's my favorite cyclist training videos be sure to watch all three parts.

I also tell new MB riders to be aware from a distance you look like a pedal only bicycle. A motorists in a closed compartment vehicle with the windows up and a radio playing may not hear you either. The motorists may pull out in front of you not realizing how fast you're going. Therefore I encourage MB riders to wear a helmet, use mirrors, have a loud horn and use hand signals. Most importantly fully obey all traffic laws.

Be alert
Be aware
Be seen
Be predictable

Hi guys
I just ordered a 66/80 kit and I had a few questions- the main question that comes to my mind right now is:
I'd like to make my 21spd mountain bike into a fixed gear/ single speed. I believe it wouldn't be too difficult if I remove the shifters and derailers and just set the chain on the specific gears I want it to stay in
- this would be for a easy way to lock it into a mid range gear.
Is that something that would work? I dont have the money to buy all the things to properly convert to single speed so I figured this would be better suited for me

Any information would be great cause all I can find is people fitting single speed conversion kits- so can I just fix a gear on both sprockets or am I missing something?

Any other tips or information would also be very much appreciated. I'm new to this but it's very interesting to me.. Help me have a good first build please 😃
My neighbor swapped the rear wheel for a coaster wheel with 12 gauge spokes and the middle pedal crank sprocket lines up with the single rear sprocket. Also the deraileur acts as a kind of tensioner but you don't have to use it if alignment is right. Without putting a 30cc engine on a shift kit which only helps with some aspects and probably not top speed as he said 29mph which is basically the golden eagle belt drive top speed that I got with a single speed belt drive. If you are new to motorized bikes I wouldn't mess with shift kits especially with that 2 stroke.

Back