Single speed conversion

To be honest the gear system is broken and I dont know much about how the system works. I was thinking it would be easier to just take everything off and run the chain straight from front sprocket to rear sprocket and shorten the chain. The tensioner and derailers are all bent up and I don't have money to be spending on anything but the engine kit right now. I think it will work better and maybe stronger if anything I would think

To be honest the gear system is broken and I dont know much about how the system works. I was thinking it would be easier to just take everything off and run the chain straight from front sprocket to rear sprocket and shorten the chain. The tensioner and derailers are all bent up and I don't have money to be spending on anything but the engine kit right now. I think it will work better and maybe stronger if anything I would think
A multi-speed down to a single speed you still need the rear derailleur, because the drop outs aren't designed to take up chain tension.
You can adjust the gear shift so the chain stays over the single gear. Try to straighten out your derailleur, or grab one from a used or throw away bike.

The best I've ever been able to do for a get home situation is pick a ratio where the chain is in a straight line. Then wrap the chain as tight as you can get it to fit on the next smaller rear sprocket. Break the chain and rejoin it. You'll notice the chain is still a bit loose. Then move the chain to the bottom of the next larger sprocket. Turn the crank and the chain will go onto it. The chain will be very tight. You may even find turning the crank to be somewhat hard. Like I said this is only a get home thing.

I know what it's like to be low on money. However, you just have to do what you have to do in order to ride. Even if it means waiting on the money to get the parts you need.

Most importantly don't sacrifice safety for expense.

BTW what's the frame size of a Traditional men's 26" beach cruiser bike? If I learned it I forgot :LOL:

Do you know that China makes their beach cruiser frames about 2" smaller (shorter in wheel distance) than what USA made their cruiser frames back in the 40s to 70s
19" is standard 26" cruiser but there all different... the steer tubes are different lengths also

Back