Sir, you're gas tank is leaking......!

I've noticed that the gasket gets hard and shrinks a little over time. Probably due to the gas/fumes/pressure. CL's got a point there.

Yeah, mounting the tank can be a touchy situation, couldn't hurt to insulate the tank from the frame and the mounting bolts. Darn thing is subject to a lot of vibration.

Sir, now your tank mounts are broken!

OK, you fix one thing than it's something else.

As you can see both mounts are broken.... So I got the great idea to make new one's out of stainless steel stock. Stuff is tough right? Ever tried drilling though stainless with a hand drill.........."Don't....Well maybe with a drill press next time. They don't look exactly straight because the tank stud's aren't exactly straight..........Well so far so good they look like their holding OK.

On a unrelated topic....Ever been hit with a water balloon from a second story widow when you're riding your motorized.......Ouch!!!!! I nearly crashed. Yes, I've been having a very interest day.......I ever get my hand's on that kid I'm going to turn him every which way but loose.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 265
Those should'nt break good idea.I would still call Enterprise Rubber and ask for 4 samples of item m4-141094-r40 to mount to tank they will lift the tank about 3/4" and reduce the vibration greatly 1-330-633-7460 let me know how it go's.

Yeah, looks like it's holding good. Been riding it a lot the last two days to see how it's going, (always a good reason to ride more). Like I said I have those fauset rubber washer's under the tank and that lifts the tank about 1/2" off the frame. I also used those captive nuts with the neoprene on one side, so those baby's aren't going to loosen up and come off. I think that's what broke the mounts in the first place. Still when you drill through them that weakens them too. It's just pot metal.

Last edited:
Tank mount Amendment

Well the stainless steel brackets broke too!

So here's my update on mounting the tank to the OCC StingRay:

Took the original brackets, drilled and pop riveted onto the frame. Then rat tail filed the mounting holes so the tank slipped on nicely. Bolted it straight on with no rubber washers or padding/insulation whatsoever. Methinks the rubber mounting was making the tank vibrate too much, breaking the mounts and making the tank leak too.

End of tank problems.

Tank Amendment #2

OK, the tank loosened up, broke the mounts and gas leaking at one of the studs.........Again!

Alright you're messin' with a Vietnam Vet. It's time for some good olde heavy-handed American ingenuity. Bought some metal stock with lugs on the ends, cut them in half and braised them on the ends of the tank. Took my Dremel cut-off wheel and cut off all the studs, (God, that felt good). Grinded them flat and braised on top of that. Put the tank on, ahhh forgot to put the petcock on, no problem. Took the back bolt out and swung the tank over and screwed it on.....Hey, I like that.

End of story.........It better be!

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 284
That should be the end of you tank related problems! Unless that brazing doesn't hold. -dodges thrown items- LoL!:D

Well that's only the second time I've braised something so it's a little sloppy. The trick is to keep your flame up high, and heat the material up good and then introduce the braising rod. If it's too low the rod will bead up and not flow, I'm still learning. But trust me those mounts are on there for good.

Back