Skewer Maintenance

mcassMB6

Local time
4:56 AM
Does anyone regularly apply grease to their F/R skewers? Is this neccessary if I am planning on putting high miles on my bike?

Also, I've never even attempted to repack the bearings of a mountain bike (F or R) so, if I had my local shop take care of that once in a while, would that be worth it?

Skewer/Hub Maint.

A light coat of grease on the skewer is a good thing as it will help prevent rust/corrosion. A drop or two of light oil/chain lub on the QR lever pivot goes along way as well. As for hub maint. there seems to be two schools of thought on wether or not hub overhaul is a good thing. The sealed hubs of today are great at keeping out moisture, and alot of people seem to think that if the hubs are adjusted properly and are smooth running don't mess with them. Other people take apart the hubs every season or two and clean all the parts add fresh grease and reassemble. If you are paying you LBS mechanic to do these things it can get expensive pretty quickly. If you have the tools and skills to do them your self it only costs what ever your time is worth to you? Only you can say wether or not its worth it.

ocscully

Back