Skewers, how strong are they?

People get unreasonable doubt in their head about something that's proven to work.
Heck, we're all prolly guilty of it for some reason or another. Unreasonable FUD.

It's like the 14g spoke thing. Greenline in my album on profile has the wheels that came off my first build. The rear wheel has been through 6 tires, 5 motors, 4 states, 3 different kit sandwiches on 3 different bikes, 2 MegaRange clusters, and an overhaul in a very cold garage. Those wheels have 14g spokes and have been through miles I can't count up.

It isn't that the rims won't hold up to 12g spokes (although being essentially a harder spring they will give it a rougher time!), it's that the tension will be exactly the same anyway, limited by the rim, so that you gain no more wheel strength from the heavier spokes.
You'll have to drill out all the holes too for the 12g nipple, further weakening the rim (and excluding any eyeletted rims from your choices).
I think it's worth having a search on the wider net maybe endless sphere for something about using much different gauge spokes in the same wheel. The 12g obviously have their usefulness for a sheave. :)

Are you sure the Novatec hub flanges are steel? It seems very odd on a QR hub.

The 12g, necessary for the sheave, are tensioned to the max of the rim. They only get a tiny bit into their elasticity. So having a rim that stays very circular will make life easier for 12g spokes.
The semi deep double wall rims with a cross section like an A or D are very stiff. Aluminium is way better than steel.
How many spokes must the wheel have to fit the sheave?

You've got me looking at new rims now too. :love:

I believe Will said it needs to be 36 for the sheave to fit.
Thanks, @Frogslayer. :) I'm not even sure if he's doing both wheels now because I got going on a train of thought and hijacked the thread there. :oops:
Okay I will give it a rest. Lol. I think it would look wicked with only eighteen 12g on the bike anyway.

And it's stronger ;)

Last edited:
My stock wheel had 7 or 8 broken spokes after a few rides and I’m borrowing one with 12g spokes. Rode around for 2 or 3 hours today. I’ve decided I am getting chrome steel rims with steel hubs both 12g. I can get the rear already assembled but I’ll have to build the front. I purchased continental town and country 26 x 2.1 tires and I’ll be using the thick Goodyear inner tubes. It will be thru axles. Before you say it I don’t mind the extra weight. A lot of people think of the heaviness in a no motor application to be bad but the engine is totally different. The 2 stroke mitsu copy will have enough power. Ya they’re 36 spoke wheels.

Back