Skyhawk Build Journal

So I thought I'd start a thread and do a kind of journal as I acquire parts and build this thing from the frame up. Right now, as you can see, I basically have just the frame. The headset cups are pressed and I installed a sealed bottom bracket with the help of an adapter. This will probably be a longer process due to funding but I will update as I go along. I think my next step will be a set of forks. I have a stem to mount once I get the forks.

Stop by and check out the progress from time to time. Thanks!

IMAG1268.jpg
IMAG1267.jpg

Well FedEx just dropped off the hub adapter! Now I can get this thing moving!

The Skyhawk is mobile! Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride it very much at all yet. I'm gonna try to go out in a bit but I just got chased by a damn pitbull that was runnin lose half a mile from my house! I am so tired of being chased by dogs that I called the PD. So.. Skyhawk trial run to be continued lol.

After a little more riding I notice a whining droning sound coming from what I think is the clutch. Everything is good but the low end torque is pretty lame and that sound is annoying. Maybe it'll calm down after the motor settles in a bit. I hope anyways. As of right now I'm really not that impressed with the Grubee. It doesn't run any better than my eBay kit and my cheap motor never made the noise this one does. It sounds exactly the same as a gasbike motor that I briefly ran. I don't know. Let me get some miles on this thing and I'll recap. One thing for sure is the dual V-brakes are awesome and this bike pedals so much better than my other. Probably in part to the bigger rear sprocket on the pedal side and the longer pedal arms. I could probably pedal this thing up a decent hill without any help from the motor. As it stands now, I'll probably have to pedal assist when I do get to a hill though lol. I know my other bike had better low end and all around better performance simply by replacing the stock NT carb with a jetted Dellorto. Like I said though, it may be a little too early to be certain.

Other than the whining noise I think I am going to like this new ride. I hope things remain on the up and up.

Did it go away? The low end could be my weight too..I way about 240. Not sure. I mean I think I can fall deeply in love with this thing but she's gonna have to shape up! :D

Anyways I'll quit bitchin lol. Here's the finished product. Dual V-brakes stop on a dime and got the coaster for backup. It's pretty comfortable to ride.

IMAG1383.jpg

Could it be dry bearings? Idk if the Grubees ever have that problem, but I suppose you would have been able to notice that earlier anyway.. Or not idk. I got horrible dry bearings in my (not Grubee) engine.

That wasn't the problem on mine, I opened the clutch cover and it seemed lubed up pretty well so i just left it alone.
The sprocket behind the clutch arm was lubed up pretty good too

I didn't check mag side

Back