skyhawk in frame tank racer build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by mikemarley, May 14, 2015.

1. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

does anyone know of a larger reed block than the rock solid one, besides the arrow racing one?

<
  2. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

tried to buy the arrow rracing red block. he sent my $ money back in a few hrs. we dont like each other at all, because he is horrible at customer service, and i get angry when someones race balanced crank explodes my motor in 2 weeks even running 20:1 castor oil

3. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I am of the thought that that just a longer (off-set) intake pipe does almost as much as a reed in slowing the intake backflow, without an expansion chamber exhaust anyway.

4. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

it would, but my piston has a window in, so i need it more for metering air and fuel, the bike wont even start without it lol
    but in other news found a guy to make me a reed valve!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  5. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

got a spare motor on my bike while im building the monster, and it looks so funny lol.
    so tiny and out of place looking

Attached Files:

6. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

It matches the rear wheel.

7. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

lmao yea i guess so. i have the skyhawk frame so i can only fit the 26 in tire in there, the fronts a 29er tubeless . space is tight lol.
    i need a nice fat back tire though...

8. KCvale

A piston window?
    What the heck is that??

There is only so much you can do these before you render them useless like you have now bud.

9. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

lol, its a hole in the piston that lets the trapped gas in the crankcase, under the piston out increasing top rpm. alot of racing 2 strokes do it look it up. but like i said now i need the reed valve to keep the pressure in the motor so it will run.

my motor was build by a professional machinist, his bike goes 73. he machinez his own motors, and parts and hes even made a crankcase intake reed motor, all his bikes run with them so im good thanks though lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  10. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Jim Irvin?
    His bike don't go 73......:jester:

11. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

nope not jim, i do talk to him ocassionally though, i dont like to say names. hes been around forever, and makes crazy parts and mods for the china girl

12. KCvale

(just scratches head)

You know there is a much easier way to gain performance that lasts more than a race or two...
    They are called gears.
    It won't kill your engine but will blow you away ;-}

13. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

Most MB racing is for single speed bikes. Shifters are not allowed. Personally, I've never liked the idea of using a small chain under extreme load and forcing it off track with a derailleur. Isn't that why we all use 415 chains now days. I've snapped my share of 410 motorized chains and stock bicycle chains on unmotorized bikes. Has to be the weak link, right?

With that being said, kicking around the idea of electrifying my dyno ultra glide. If that happens I want gears. PART_1436751362647_0712151833.jpg

14. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

lol, yeah i could run a jackshaft setup again, but like leroy said, you break chains due to the small bicycle chain, and i went through a few derailers when the chain locked up too. i was fast with a jack shaft butim waaaayfaster withthe 34tooth gear.
    one last thing it does have to be a single gear to race or id of kept it and tried

15. KCvale

Hummm, things have changed since the last Death Race in Tucson I was in with gears.
    What races have you been in?
    That was my first and only one, I can't take another spill of any sort so no more racing for me.

Me either, that is why I like internal shifters, heck a 3-speed is enough, and HS 410 holds up just fine for me.

Man, I don't know, that bike begs to have that fake tank made a real gas tank with a gas engine.
    If you want go that way swing by the shop next week with it, I have played with this kind of thing before ;-}

16. MotorBicycleRacing

Socal Motor Bicycle Racing has always allowed shifting in the rear hub.

Sick Bike Parts is one of our great sponsors since our first race in 2011.

We don't allow multi speed shiftable motorcycle engines.

There at least 3 race bikes currently using the bicycle side chain to shift gears.

Where is all this MB racing going on?

17. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

so an 8 speed motorized mountain bike could enter? i got told i couldnt enter
    i tried to enter this beauty, she eats parts though so it really was too bad of s loss lol

Attached Files:

18. MotorBicycleRacing

Yes, your 8 speed motorized mountain bike can race at Socal Motor Bicycle Racing events.

There are several derailleur shifting race bikes at our races.

Who told you you couldn't enter?
    When did this happen?

19. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

it was from the offical rules a few years back, i thought the multispeed engine was reffering to derailers, so i built a single speed racer for it insread

20. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

Awesome! Still has to be allot of chains grenading with the "side chain to shift gears".