Tubes Slime for puncture resistant tires

coyle

Local time
8:29 AM
I went back a few pages and didn't see this mentioned so...I have been using Slime for years in my bike tires and it's great; never have a flat and the myth of it clogging the valves is overhyped. I buy the big 16 oz one from walmart and put 4-8 oz in each tire. I've had over 40 goathead thorns in a tire and it still held air. I've pulled tacks out without incidence etc etc. Now maybe there is some reason I don't know of for not putting it in motorized bike tires.

I remember trying slime once without being very impressed.

But if you're having good results, then that's just fine.

Maybe "slime suspicious" types like myself will have to give it another try.

Wow, I can't imagine it not working. Like I said I buy the big 16 oz Slime brand from Walmart, not something from bike shops and put 2-3x what they reccomend but yeah, it works great. I haven't had a flat in over a decade. Just one thing: when changing the valve watch out because that slime is going to explode out the tube. You will be slimed!

I'm not aware of any reason why it can't be used in MB tyres....i have Slime on both tyres of one MB and no slime in two another MB's.All three have had no punctures & i put that down to good tyres/good tyre liners/good thorn resistant tubes.
Sorry man i can't comment of the effectivness of Slime cos it's never had to do it's job.

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion of Slime is still " out." BUT , my opinion of " Goatheads " [ aka Sand burrs, sticker-burrs ] is in, & I hate them. Three flats in one day, before, because of them !

Slime - to get home with out repairing small leak ???

I'm not aware of any reason why it can't be used in MB tyres...
good tyres/good tyre liners/good thore resistant tubes.

Slime type stuff has been around for a very long time now
I used to sell something similar to it in my bicycle shop over 35 years ago
Pep Boys has sold it for many a moon

my opinion
as something that may be used as a back up
so as to get one home (possibly) with out having to change a flat tire
for many slow leaks -- Slime may be the kind
is Slime a long term repair for small leaks -- I don't think so
I would still when the time is right -- want to get a patch on that THING

one thing used a lot today -- tyre liners -- were not used much years back
these seem to be a very good THING -- I count on mine
large staple sticking out of my tire the other day
I thought to myself -- flat top mountain poo
pulled the stapel out -- did not go through the liner...

ride that Slimey THING

Last edited:
I used to use tire liners but noticed over time they wore into the the tubes where the ends are. Now I did have to replace the tire after all those goathead thorns but it got me home. But I've had a thumbtack in this one and it's a permanent fix. Over a year now.

I used to use tire liners but noticed over time they wore into the the tubes where the ends are. Now I did have to replace the tire after all those goathead thorns but it got me home. But I've had a thumbtack in this one and it's a permanent fix. Over a year now.
When u place the tyre liner on overlap the ends,then file the edge that's directly touching on the tube.

Slime does work as a long term repair. My mountain bike front has at least 6 punctures in it the last one close to 8 months ago slime sealed 0 patches. When I had my landscape co. all the equipment tires got slime you would agree if ever get the opportunity to drag a 500lb machine 100+ yards up hill with 2 flats by yourself that sealed the slime deal for me. A puncture in a slimed tire will lose air maybe go flat once or twice but it will seal permanently and you won't have to take off the tire to patch it. Slime and a small pump will save your arse.

Back