Slowly but surely . . .

This project is taking a while (cash flow).

20180916_104851.jpg

And a question: So I am pretty sure I bought the wrong size head tube cups as there is a lot of slack between the head tube and the bottom cup. I tried to see if pushing the triple tree fork brackets closer, but that made it too tight to steer the handlebar. Can I put spacers on the cup tube to match the head tube i.d.? Has anyone had this happen? Or should I just try to find the right size?

A
And a question: So I am pretty sure I bought the wrong size head tube cups as there is a lot of slack between the head tube and the bottom cup. I tried to see if pushing the triple tree fork brackets closer, but that made it too tight to steer the handlebar. Can I put spacers on the cup tube to match the head tube i.d.? Has anyone had this happen? Or should I just try to find the right size?

View attachment 86191
Any slack is a lot of slack. The cup should be a very tight fit in the head tube. You should need to use methods to press it in.
No, it absolutely definitely cannot be shimmed.
There is a Japanese mtb headtube (for a 1" steerer) standard and a USA cruiser headtube (for a 1" steerer) standard IIRC.
You'll have to dismantle and measure.

Maybe it’s 1 inch in a 1 1/8 headset or vise versa. I had a problem where I bought a 1 1/8 fork but the headset was for 1 inch. Origin 8 headsets are nice. No play at all and anodized aluminum pieces/good bearings. I see you have a triple tree.

Back