Slowly but surely . . .

This project is taking a while (cash flow).

20180916_104851.jpg

So I lined up both sprockets ok (CVT and Rear), but there is just a bit of binding (might be off just a hair).
Question: Could I put some washers behind the rear sprocket to take out the 16th or 32nd of an inch without
weakening that area?

So I lined up both sprockets ok (CVT and Rear), but there is just a bit of binding (might be off just a hair).
Question: Could I put some washers behind the rear sprocket to take out the 16th or 32nd of an inch without
weakening that area?
Yep, that's what I did. I just used quality steel washers and TQ'd them down nice and tight with blue loctite. Cheap chinese washers are often not perfectly flat or even the same thickness which would cause sprocket misalignment so I bought some nice ones from Ace.

I had to make a 1/2" aluminum hub spacer for the chain to clear my tire, but it was still just barely touching when the chain moved and getting black dust everywhere so added a single washer under each sprocket bolt and its perfect now. You could also tack-weld the metal plates from a stock rag joint kit together and sand em flat as well and use that as a spacer for the sprocket if needed - its slightly thicker than a washer and would be a full surface to contact instead of just the 5-6 washers. Depending on your sprocket you would need to drill new holes though.

Yep, that's what I did. I just used quality steel washers and TQ'd them down nice and tight with blue loctite. Cheap chinese washers are often not perfectly flat or even the same thickness which would cause sprocket misalignment so I bought some nice ones from Ace.

I had to make a 1/2" aluminum hub spacer for the chain to clear my tire, but it was still just barely touching when the chain moved and getting black dust everywhere so added a single washer under each sprocket bolt and its perfect now. You could also tack-weld the metal plates from a stock rag joint kit together and sand em flat as well and use that as a spacer for the sprocket if needed - its slightly thicker than a washer and would be a full surface to contact instead of just the 5-6 washers. Depending on your sprocket you would need to drill new holes though.

Perfect, thanks!

So doing a test run of the beast. Went down my long gravel road and then back up, engine died as I didn't have the idle up far enough, and then it wouldn't start for about 15 pulls. Finally got it started, drove around the sharp curve to go up to my driveway and the engine started to make a clinking sound. Shut it off. The motor won't turn over by hand and the governor arm that sticks up through the top of the motor fell through. So I guess I broke the governor. Going to have to get into it and see if I caused any damage to the internals. Something to do tomorrow.

On a side note: I think I definitely got the gear ratio right, this thing flys!

So doing a test run of the beast. Went down my long gravel road and then back up, engine died as I didn't have the idle up far enough, and then it wouldn't start for about 15 pulls. Finally got it started, drove around the sharp curve to go up to my driveway and the engine started to make a clinking sound. Shut it off. The motor won't turn over by hand and the governor arm that sticks up through the top of the motor fell through. So I guess I broke the governor. Going to have to get into it and see if I caused any damage to the internals. Something to do tomorrow.

On a side note: I think I definitely got the gear ratio right, this thing flys!
Mine on my big bore dropped in during the third test ride. I was waiting to dig into it since I wanted to do the head at the same time, but it luckily fell through to the bottom and didn't hurt anything. Just the metal arm/shaft part in this pic fell - the plastic gear was still clipped on to its shaft. Hopefully you are just as lucky!

Mine on my big bore dropped in during the third test ride. I was waiting to dig into it since I wanted to do the head at the same time, but it luckily fell through to the bottom and didn't hurt anything. Just the metal arm/shaft part in this pic fell - the plastic gear was still clipped on to its shaft. Hopefully you are just as lucky!
View attachment 91978
Here's to hoping randall has the same luck as you. It sounds like something is binded, hoping no damage.

View attachment 91978

Good to know. Yeah I will be digging into mine tomorrow and will post what happened. Yeah, I hope I didn't damage anything too.

Back