Small bevel gear removal

Frank Horrigan

Local time
7:59 AM
So my small bevel gear threads are stripped and the puller doesn’t work. Any idea on how to take it out.

I have never tried this, but I've heard people say you can heat it with a torch to get it off. Might want a crank seal ready in case it melts.

IF it's anything like my bike engine you'll need to get out the MAPP torch before you go any further. The slothead screw that holds on the small gear needs to be removed before you can pull the gear and with that screw the factory is installing with red Loctite. Which needs to be heated to 500 degrees before it will release.

Fun huh?

IF it's anything like my bike engine you'll need to get out the MAPP torch before you go any further. The slothead screw that holds on the small gear needs to be removed before you can pull the gear and with that screw the factory is installing with red Loctite. Which needs to be heated to 500 degrees before it will release.

Fun huh?
No, sounds like a pain in the rear.... No wonder I can not for the life of me, remove the dang bolt out my old 66cc, small bevel.

Back