Small Clutch Gear Is Shredded | Nightmare Refuses To Be Tamed

The clutch on my PK80 had a lot of play. I put new 3mm balls in (with grease). Took a lot of play out of it. I use high temp (disk break) grease on the gears. The clutch is much quieter now
Do you have either a pic of that stuff or a link to it so we can examine it???...DAMIEN

I'll take pictures of the pipe flanges I use to separate and re-assemble the clutch. It would probably work better with an arbor press. The original ball bearings were very low quality and varied a lot. I used 3mm balls, not 1/8" as stated in a Youtube video. Quality ball bearings can be bought cheaply on Ama-zone.

Every time I've seen a shredded small bevel the cause has been wobble.

The source of wobble is always one of the following:

The most common one I've witnessed is a bad install where the gear rode up the key funny in the keyway causing it not to seat on the shaft properly square to the clutch gear.

An improperly seated clutch gear ^same reasons

An out of true crankshaft or bent shaft end although these usually give other warning before you get in deep enough to blow the bevel flat
Hmm. May explain my wir-wir-wir sound. What can I look for when I take it apart to be sure I don't put the new parts in with the same problem?

You do realize that the bevel gear's I.D. is tapered and sit's on a tapered shaft locked in place with a bolt. All these crankshafts are not trued from the factory as can be seen by manual rotation granted some are better than others but none are perfect. The clutch/basket gear can have 1mm of end play and also do not remain concentric between clutch engagement and disengagement.
I did notice that the the chamfer where the flower nut sits looks choppy. I'd take a picture of it but I'm not sure it would come out clear enough.

The chamfer where the flower nut sits is pretty crappy looking. Definitely went through some bounce and tool was probably dull. But placing the flower nut in here, it doesn't seem that it would cause a problem.

1635884974953.jpeg

Just make sure the keyway is in good shape, & you dont snag it when putting new gear on.

Back