Small diesel engine on bicycle

ekramer

Local time
12:19 AM
Hello: This is my first thread. It's a pleasure being a new member of this group. I have read about the possible existence of a small diesel engine which is suitable for mounting on a bicycle. My internet research has uncovered such a diesel built in the 1940s or 1950s, but which has apparently now been discontinued. Estimates are that this engine is capable of mileage ratings in the neighborhood of 200 - 300 mpg. Is there a modern equivalent to this engine in existence, or under development?

You probably saw a " Lohmann " engine. I don't know of any diesel kits available, today.

Hi ekramer. Welcome to MBc!

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D
You may have seen this, but here's a great MBc starter "link" to get you motoring.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

I have to say that I too looked for small diesel engines and the smallest one I could come up with was the Hatz 1B20. It's a 4.6hp, 243cc diesel that weighs in at about 50 pounds. Northern Tool sells them for quite a hefty price. Not worth it IMO.

Attachments

• chinese-prototype-250x400.jpg
    chinese-prototype-250x400.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 10,551
  • micro-diesel.jpg
    micro-diesel.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 10,811
  • nl-prototype-250x400.jpg
    nl-prototype-250x400.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 11,505
Last edited:
That's pretty awesome. Here's some more information about the practica from this page.

Displacement 18 cm3
Power output 0,6hp at 6000rpm
Cycle two stroke
Compression Variable between 0 and 1:50
Fuel Kerosene, diesel or vegetable oils
Weight of bare engine (approx) 15kg
Cooling Water cooled, air-cooling optional
Speed control Internal governor
Power take-off shaft 1500rpm, 1:4 ratio to crankshaft
Starting Crank
Power take-off (2, start shaft) 365 rpm
Specific fuel consumption 300-400gr/hp.h
Fuel cons. at 0,2hp/5700rpm 0.15 l/h

Water cooled, eh? hmm... that could make it tricky. I'd love to get my hands on one though.

practica foundation.

I've been trying to get in contact with those guys for the last three years or so trying to get one of the engines from them. So far i've gotten nothing back trying five different email addresses with different email content from two different machines. I dont think either these guys check their mail, have a extremely aggressive Spam filter, dont want to communicate in english to an American, or some super secret government agency thats in bed with the oil companies intercepted the communication. either way i am going to immediately wrap various amounts of tin foil around my head. wasnt their schematics on the site for building them?

Bump. A related thread (about biodiesel, with some interest in micro diesel bicycle engines) brought me here by google search.
Rumour is the Practica company abandoned their microdiesel project (the one seen in the popular Youtube video, but today, this link was still working http://www.practica.org/products/under-development/micro-diesel-engine/

I really hope someone gets it together with a bicycle-specific micro-diesel engine. I would like to have one. At this point, diesel fuel is higher in price than gasoline (seems odd to me, esp with "bio diesel" being sold which includes all kinds of fillers and organic waste products). Still, a very durable and pleasant to operate diesel bike engine would be a wonderful idea, esp in some countries where diesel is more practical to buy, or where gov. exemptions exist/are drafted for motor bicycles.

Last edited:
Here is a youtube video showing one, built, and running (powering a bicycle stationary trainer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdroxprH4xg
Home Built Diesel Bicycle Engine FEATURES:
- capacity: 38 cubic cm
- power: without oil pump, injector, spark plug, 2-stroke carburettor.
- compression ratio 80 kg per square centimeter
- 5000-7000 RPM full speed
- 50-60 km with a consumption liters of diesel
- max speed 50 km per hour.

Back