Carby Small screw with spring on side of carb

the screw is ONLY for idle speed. it acts on the angled slot on the bottom of the slide to raise or lower it.

in a pinch, you could use the rightsized screw to block the hole from airleak. then, use the cable-housing adjuster on top of the carb to adjust the idle.

Right on augi! Plug the hole with a plastic cap, piece of wooden dowel, ect (make sure it can't get sucked it) and adjust the idle with the cable housing adjuster.

Or go to Home Depot and buy the right metric screw.

Or buy one from dax and put some thread locker (or nail polish if you have a house full of girls like I do) on the threads.

in my case, i'm constantly adjusting idle "on the fly" to match conditions.

so, locking the idle screw might not be the best idea unless you've got a setting that works all the time.

try pulling the spring a bit longer, making for more holding-power. at first mine would vibrate out pretty fast, but after lengthening the spring i've had not one problem with it.

tip: if you "make" your own idle-screw, file/grind a bevel onto the end of it to match the angled slot on the slide. this will make for smoother adjusting.

another tip: if the screw insists on vibrating loose despite your best efforts, use some wire to make a "safety harness", wrap a loop around the head of the screw (include one turn of the spring in this loop) & the other end around something solid...if it does come all the way out, screw & spring'll be dangling there waiting for you to figure it out.

Here's another "old timer" trick- use a short piece of very light fishing line. Take the screw out, put the line in about 1/2 way and put the screw back in. (it's not as hard as it may seem). This acts as a type of loctite, but allows you to turn the screw. It won't ever vibrate out again.

Thanks for all the handy tips guys. I found the right size screw at the hardware store today. It runs a whole lot better. I also found a thicker spring. I put it on and went around the neighborhood a buncha times and it hasn't budged. Seems good to go. Thanks again!

Back