Smoked by a 50!....Sniff sniff ;-(

About scooters

Just a little clarification or just my 2 cents, whichever you prefer. As I said in my newbie greeting a week ago, I got into these motor bicycles because I missed my two recently sold scooters, a stepless "new Pioneer" and a Geeley Linhai Yamaha. There are so many reasons not to feel bad about or good about beating or losing to a scooter that I don't know where to start. Both of mine were 50cc engines. The New Pioneer was a stepless (read that as being exactly as our bicycle engines are) and could not get out of its own way at a max of 30 mph on level or even straight down the side of mt. baldy. Centrifigul clutch that took forever to make it past walking speed followed by a 45 second struggle to it's screaming engine max of 30 mph. Then again theres the other, the Linhai yamaha .... 3 speed variater (read that like a mini comet torq a verter) 57 mph right outta the box, $835 delivered (New,Ebay Storefront) quiet, engine purred, NEVER strained, almost faded away in the wind noise at near 60mph.

My point is that with scooters there is no way to tell from an ebay ad that doesn't give enough info, how an import off brand scooter will respond.
If it claims speeds over 40 it's going to have a 'transmission' like variator which changes the driven gear ratios. My $835 Linhai smoked Yamaha Vinos regularly,and the Vino is a legitimate and expensive dealer 's showroom scooter. In conclusion, you can be neither proud nor sad at victory or loss in a race with a scooter because you were either so badly outclassed and "variatored" ... or you only won a race against a 169 pound stepless , sporting more weight but sometimes even less cc power than your bicycle and with wheels 1/3 the size.

Back