Smolik minarelli hybrid motorized bicycle kit.

I've heard that the stage6 street sport cylinder kit or the malossi street sport cylinder kit both in a cast iron flavor produce the best all around power. With them 2 kits I've read that there the most torque producing kits with good topend power. They are both street kits designed for more streetable use, but still a good high rpm kit. I've also read that the athena kits lean more towards a high rpm screamer.

Rather than start a new thread, I will ask here. Would like input on the Athena cylinder kit #68-4501 if that helps.
Have run what I am assuming is a stock cylinder conversion thru a modded jog pipe and a VM24. Was pretty impressive. I got a good deal on the Athena and would like to use it, but not if its lacking decent or tolerable low end as I have to ride nearly a mile of gravel road to get to pavement. Will be run thru a VM20, with a Smolik balanced crank and the modded jog pipe.

Thoughts?
You might gain a little torque back on that cylinder kit when you go to the vm20 carb over the vm24 carb. Also you could probably switch to a dual stage reed setup & gain some torque on the athena cylinder kit as well. You could also increase your header length to gain some torque. I spend quite a bit a time on moped army reading & learning things, but alot of them say your athena kits are a better high rpm screamer over a grunt monster.

Thanks DT! Thats what I was thinking, especially after looking at the ports and the fact its a single ring piston
means high revs. Guess I will stick with the stock set up. Its pretty awesome from what Im used to. It had good enough
low end even not properly jetted at the time.

I see some issues. Had the normal CG base gasket under the plate. Dont see how the squish could be set. Dont know
if the CG can hold the 6mm studs with out an insert. Should have a head upgrade. A Minnie for the masses. Hope it works out for them.

I see some issues. Had the normal CG base gasket under the plate. Dont see how the squish could be set. Dont know
if the CG can hold the 6mm studs with out an insert. Should have a head upgrade. A Minnie for the masses. Hope it works out for them.
Yeah I personally thought it was pretty cheesy setup, It looked to me that the adapter plate was milled wrong to match the cases. Intake manifold was either a welded steel model or cast aluminum. I think you are way better off building 1 from scratch. I really dont like the 6mm stud thing, but most scooter 2 strokes are 6mm studs, so I'm on the fence with that.

I really dont like the 6mm stud thing, but most scooter 2 strokes are 6mm studs, so I'm on the fence with that.
Thats another reason why i like the Zeda 80s so much with their 8mm studs...however i still replace the studs with actual bolts wherever possible, especially after I had a broken rear motor mount stud recently and replaced them with M8-1.25 by 60mm bolts instead..."Much more betterer"...lol...DAMIEN

Interesting!

This a cheap version for sure! Cheap Chinese cast iron cylinder with crappy piston and would have had to been drilled out to fit the 8mm studs so not sure why they didn't do the head as well, that crank is not balanced for a Minarelli piston it's missing a hole that's needed to get the balance factor to where it's safe to turn the higher rpm and be reliable as the Minarelli piston is heavier.
The gasket under the spacer was ok since they didn't match the transfer feeds in the case to the cylinder they milled the spacer to match cylinder and left a sharp turn at the case to spacer rather than a nice ramp, and it's not 50cc being a 40mm stroke with 47.6 mm piston it's still a 71 cc engine, he say's it's reliable performance orientated and I don't see it, most will still have the same issues as with a CG.

Nothing wrong with a kit you need to work a little to make perfect, as long as it ain't more than say $200 bucks or so, I'd try one.
From what I caught in the video was it's going to cost around $480 I thought I heard him say, maybe I'm wrong. But you can get a smolik performance for that. I think smolik performance gets $470 for a complete hybrid.

Back