Snapped Head Bolt?

KiDD

Local time
8:03 AM
I was torquing the head bolts and I heard a loud snap, not a good thing. How do I go about replacing it? I already have m6 threaded rod.

I'm afraid to take it apart I just got it!

Last edited:
Do you mean you torqued the bolts with a torque wrench, or guessed ?
If you used a torque wrench, what setting was it set at ?

can you post some pics ?

I was using a small click stop torque wrench set to 10 lbs.

I'm pretty sure one of them is broken.

OK,
undo the bolt you think is broken. If it's broken then you have a job to do.
If it's not broken, then loosen and smear some oil or spray some CRC under the bolt between the alloy of the head and re-tension. Do that to all other bolts one by one.

Yup, I call that broken!

The bad news is that it is broken. Very broken.
The good news is that it didn't sheer at the base, but near the very top.

I'm a positive person, so at least this happen to me now instead of later, giving me a chance to upgrade to quality parts. I just want my Happy Times!

Click for large image.

there are 12 in. lbs in a ft. lb----breaking that bolt is an indication of the quality of the metal in the. go to a hardware store and replace with quality bolts. not only will they break but you cant get true torque specs. because those bolts also stretch.

I already have a meter of 6m all thread. I'm just dreading taking apart the engine to get the bolts out! Is there anything I should be careful about when I take it apart as to not damage anything?

I just took it all apart and cut some new head bolts and replaced them put the cylinder and the head on.

Should I have used loctite? and should I have put made a new gasket for it?

I'm scared to torque it again

Last edited:
Back