Snapping on the Spoke Ring

Jb weld not so good then.

Perhaps I can use a soldering iron to actually melt the plastic onto a sanded/roughed up spoke surface... Just a thought. I did solder/wire tie my spokes together this weekend. I glopped the solder on really thick, I am wondering if I should thin it out a bit instead.

I will post an introduction about myself and actually mess around with my profile to make people happy.

:confused:
You can count me as one who thinks the "introduce yourself" requirement is odd. I've never seen it required anywhere else, and I don't think I've even looked at that forum at all.

Also in some forums there's still too many sticky threads. I'd guess the attention span is about three stickys.

-----

Back on topic:
I have noticed that I can set my ring perfect, and then a couple weeks later (even with no riding) it's off-center. I suspect the belt tension (that I leave engaged) is pulling it off-center. I did have to cut my own spoke notches for the 11G Worksman wheels, so they don't fit quite as well as the GEBE notches do on a typical wheel but anyway. I have taken to leaving the belt un-tensioned when the bike is not being used, to see if that makes any difference.
~

"it's called manners, & it's a shame that reminders are even necessary."

ok, we've all had our say, that was my last word about it, but i deleted all my other carp as unnecessary carp. however, don't be expecting to see any "lightening up."

back to topic: if there was anything bad to say about my GEBE, i'd be posting it. worst i've had was a noisy gear-cover and that was solved with rubber washers. it doesn't mean i think everyone has it easy, but i have because i've read all the previous posts here about 'em. with my 12ga steel spokes, my ring was also pretty much self-centering, it's a little off but the tensioner handles it well. with dennis' blessing, i'm keeping the ring-gear install basic on purpose, besides recently zip-tieing, i haven't done a thing to the rear wheel.

if you have problems with spokes , heres what i did .
Find an aluminum street sign or something similar. not one thats still hanging mind you
cut to fit inner dimensions of rim allowing for concavity . cut a small wedge out so it fits the angle of the spokes from hub to rim .
cut some 1 inch strips to match the outside curve of the piece you just made. . the strips go on one side of the spokes and bolt through to the plate which goes on other side of spokes .
bolt your sprocket to this plate . what you've acomplished by doing this is instead of the spokes themselves taking all the force, now your spoke tesioners are taking all the force which happen to be alot stronger than just the spokes themselves. sorry all the pics i have but should give you an idea of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• 57_DSCN0220_1.jpg
    57_DSCN0220_1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 57_DSCN0223_1.jpg
    57_DSCN0223_1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 57_DSCN0224_2.jpg
    57_DSCN0224_2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 299
I'm really falling in love with my GEBE scince taking care of the spoke issue.....I'm really gettin' to know this thing. Haven't had any other problems with it. With the 10 guage spokes, I really don't think it to be necessary to zip tie, or epoxy. That ring is really on those spokes tight, and is maintaining center. I always make a point to release tension, on the belt when parking the bike though. I'd bet that is a big help to keep the ring centered. If ya get in that habit, ya better get in the habit of re-applying the tension, because it's real easy to forget, and can lead to belt damage if the engine is started with the belt loosened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traffic Sign !

Useing a Traffic sign ? That is **** geniouse ! I mean really ! I've been building wheels for 25 years, and I can make one heck of a wheel, One that I know will hold up ! but I must tip my Hat to you Sir, your enginuity is remarkable ! Kudo's to you and your time spent inventing such a wonderfull answer to a nagging problem of spoke breakage, it obviousley would spread out the stress points, as a wheelsmith, I keep my eye's peeled for inovative idea's, you should feel very proud of your Outside the Box thinking, I'm impressed ! :D

Now that is truly a piece of expediency..hehe. It wouldn't work with GEBE, unless there were other serious modifications made. I'm really falling in love with the 10 guage spoke job the wheelmaster did for me. I weigh in at 340, (lost some weight! yay!), and havn't had a hint of a problem with the 10 guagers. I don't need any modifications...I simply have strong enough spokes, for my weight, and the intense stress on the spokes caused by the GEBE drive ring. With over 300 miles, I don't have any inclination to believe that I'm gonna break any spokes any time soon! Finally, I'm getting some enjoyment out of this little jewel, instead of constantly working on it, (of course its winter time now, and I can't ride as much as I would like). Here's the bottom line, and I believe this applies to anybody, not just the heavy weights....Good rim, good hub, 10 guage spokes, and your problems are over...no epoxy glue, lol, no tie wraps, NO BUSTED SPOKES!! And a lifetime guarantee on the spokes. I LUV IT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Roy, I'm happy to hear you've resolved your spoke breakage issue; I'm considering 10g front and back as well. At 53, my bike could conceivably last into my 70's. It makes sense to me to build my bike as strong as possible for years of enjoyment. Ride safe!

Back