Snapping on the Spoke Ring

10 guage spokes

I'm gonna get a sun rim, and shimano hub for the front, but I'm sure that 14 guage will be fine on the front. I love the ones I have on the back wheel. I guess one gets what one pays for, but well worth the investment in this case for sure. Gotta love the way that drivering fits on those..had to reem out the holes just a little, but man...what a fit. The Wheelmaster did a great job on the lace-up....looks totally factory, but wow...what spokes!!...hehe.

Does anyone know where one could find some small shaft collars that could clamp on somehow around the spokes. That would be nice to hold the ring centered. I would do 9 of the 18 driven spokes on both sides of the ring. It's hard to find something that small though.

Does anyone know where one could find some small shaft collars that could clamp on somehow around the spokes. That would be nice to hold the ring centered. I would do 9 of the 18 driven spokes on both sides of the ring. It's hard to find something that small though.

I used some small electrical clamps to keep the magnet for my speedometer attached to the spokes. Also work to clamp cables together. Electricians call them split bolts. They come in pretty small sizes at Home Depot.

Denny

Thanx a mill Denny...definitely gonna have to check those out...I have the big ol' 10 guage spokes....may not make much difference. If they clamp down good and tight, it sounds like the right idea.

I just went out and did a little "split bolt" surfing. You are definitely on to something there. I'm headed to home depot. Those look like the ticket, and ya don't even have to unlace the wheel to run the spokes through 'em. I definitely like those! Thanx again :)

I just went out and did a little "split bolt" surfing. You are definitely on to something there. I'm headed to home depot. Those look like the ticket, and ya don't even have to unlace the wheel to run the spokes through 'em. I definitely like those! Thanx again :)

Well, if your are looking for the easy way, I'm the guy to see. My motto is "laziness is the mother of invention". :D Glad it helped you. I read some where here where they use a drop of epoxy or super glue to hold them in place too. Might be even easier. ;)

Denny

Lessons learned thus far-

1. 16 gauge spokes bend VERY easy on installation.

2. 12 gauge spokes are EXCELLENT, but you get what you pay for....

Yikes!

I'm glad I came in with the double hulled rim. I just converted to gebe. I'm assume my spokes are 12 gauge. They snapped in perfectly.

Before I bought the the kit I knew that the drive ring placement would be critical. I was a bit worried about it. But the ring seemed to find it's center quite easily when I got to the install. It does 35mph without a hint of slap or flap with the belt drive.

Moments ago I left a post about the value of the double hulled rim on a different issue and this seems to sell that idea yet further.

Michael

Last edited:
Lessons learned thus far-

1. 16 gauge spokes bend VERY easy on installation.

2. 12 gauge spokes are EXCELLENT, but you get what you pay for....

Yikes!

I'm glad I came in with the double hulled rim. I just converted to gebe. I'm assume my spokes are 12 gauge. They snapped in perfectly.

Before I bought the the kit I knew that the drive ring placement would be critical. I was a bit worried about it. But the ring seemed to find it's center quite easily when I got to the install. It does 35mph without a hint of slap or flap with the belt drive.

Moments ago I left a post about the value of the double hulled rim on a different issue and this seems to sell that idea yet further.

Michael
My drive ring centered it's self when I first installed it too, but a few hundred miles later, they tend to slide around a bit...they get out of round too, which adds to the problem even more. Then belts begin to slip, and money is soon spent....

losing true

Yikes!:eek:

I'm still under 100 miles. We'll see if the double hull rim can "hump the ruck sack" for the long haul.:oops:

Michael

Back