Snow Bike

S

snowman11

In my introduction, I state that I dont much care for bikes. I dont, my knees dont like them either. But I like to ice fish, and I need to get out on the ice in the best possible manor....and I need it to fit in the trunk or on a rack of my Hyundai Accent. So, snowmobiles and traditional ATV's are out.

You guys are the experts.

I don't need to go fast (if it's faster than walking, it's awesome) but I've gotta have torque. For my first build, I'm shooting for the ability to run through 6" of snow. Probably a trike for stabilities sake. The kicker, I need to be able to pull my sled. I figure total weight will be around 500 lbs (hey, I need to get my deep cell out there!)

So, if you had a machine shop, a welder, time and lots of junk....what would you do?

start with the "similar threads" section below this post, there's a bit of discussion going on here about that :)

already read them for the most part. situation is a little different because i'm not looking for a mini snowmobile...if i was, i'd make my own "sno runner" and just use a cut trailer tire as the track. It's the whole weight thing that keeps throwing me, I'm looking for a light weight tank that will still go through 6" of snow :)

I agree that a trike would make sense. Nice fat (maybe studded) tires and large sprocket for low gearing would be much easier on a three wheeler since you wouldn't have clearance issues. Since it would be offroad only, you could use a b&s or similar engine with more than the road legal 2-2.5 hp. How much weight could you tolerate?

Edit: never mind, I reread your post and I see that weight is a big deal. I was thinking of something that would end up like a skinny Honda ATC-70.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an idea...take a regular mountain bike, and two matching front ends from other mountain bikes...use some 1" emt welded out from the head of the main bike (which you remove the fork and headset out of)...weld that out to the two donor front ends. steering is accomplished using tabs welded to the of your upper for tube from the original, and the ackerman methodolgy.
That's the short description...if you are interested send me a PM or an email.
What you are basically making is a trike with a mountain bike frame and both wheels up front. This is actually lighter, and at the same time more duarable (if you can weld good) than an actual trike...plus, I think it handles better. You will still have the original frame size to add on which ever engine you choose to go with. You have better clearance for deeper snow (up here we got a foot last saturday to add to the 8 inches we had already). For what you want (an ice fishing buggy), you'll probably want studded tires...most bicycle shops sell them starting around $30-40 a piece.

I'll use homemade tire chains and ditch the rear brake system on the bike. I can set up a really really rudimentary disk brake, but I'm not overly worried about stopping.

I'm not sure how well I can weld EMT, it's galvanized and sputters a lot...I HATE welding galvanized.

The welding isn't an issue though. I did all of the welding on one of these in college (not this one, just an image I linked off the web)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2021/1657115133_38e2dade59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And weight isn't too much of an issue, as long as it will push itself and I can pick it up. I'll end up using a briggs, or a 2 stroke snowblower engine...just because I've got a bunch of them. I'll make an engine mount that "pops off" for easy disassembly and loading. Using a quick release boat fuel line or an on-engine tank (again, depending upon the engine) and an easily removeable throttle cable...it should make the engine mostly modular.

use a rag soaked in vinegar to remove the zinc / galvanized coating before you weld the emt...it'll save you a few hours of feeling really sick, lol. also helps to make it easy to weld with.

sweet, had never heard that before. how long do you to soak/wipe it for??

You'll want to totally soak the rag, and rap the area to be welded. Let it sit for awhile, probably about a good 1/2 hour. I never bothered really watching the clock before. I usually wrap everything up as I'm getting organized and everything out and ready (yes, I move slowly somedays, lol)...sometimes I'll leave stuff wrapped over night and do the welding the following day.
I guess one of these days when I'm at it again, I should keep an eye on the time, lol.
All in all, I'd have to say leave the area wrapped for at least a good 1/2 hour.

This is not my bike, nor did I take this pic, but here is a pic of what I was talking about earlier. I used to have plans laying around for putting one of these together...I'll have to take a look for them.

Attachments

• trike.jpg
    trike.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 334
  • hammerhead0.jpg
    hammerhead0.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 341
Back