Chain Tensioner So about those spring tensioners...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I've gotten into motorized bicycles and found out that a lot of people are having a problem with the shoddy tensioners that come with almost all kits. I've been trying a few new ones to see what's the best. The worst (besides the standard one) has been the spring-loaded tensioner I got from Bike Berry. Besides their products being over-priced, the tensioner exploded while riding @ 30 mph and destroyed my back wheel. It was a pretty crazy wipe out.

Anyway, after a few words about that tensioner, I've tried to start recovering my bike from the incident. Other than a severed wheel frame, destroyed wheel, and a brand new tensioner that's broken (parts of which are still somewhere along the road :p), the bike's fine. I took my clutch housing off to change my chain (Oh, I failed to mention that was ruined as well?) after shortening the new chain with a grinder, I started to put my chain back on. Well, as soon as I go to put my clutch pin in it slides in all the way instead of sticking out a bit like it's supposed to. I took the opposing casing off (the one with the two gears) and found out that the little gear is now sticking all the way out. Not the screw, but the gear.

So, long story short, how do I make the clutch pin fit the way it's supposed to? Did something else fall out (if it did, I can't find it)? And what's going on with that little gear.

#Grubee Skyhawk GT5 66cc 2-stroke

@BikeBerry ...thanks a bunch.

You guys should try my tensioner! Check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-66-80cc-...ain-Tensioner-Spring-Loaded-MMB-/181196082385

IMG_0416.jpg

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I bought a kit on ebay that converts the stock kit tensioner to spring loaded. Paid $20 for it, and haven't had any problems with it in 8 months.

Kit looks good, but I don't need to lose more power to an idler. Admittedly not much, but I already lose in my gearbox, PTO to the alternator, and Nuvinci hub. I have a home made engine/gearbox/alternator mount with a motorcycle like tensioner. Works for me. An added benefit is the forced drive train inspection I must make while using it.

Well good for you buddy. I'm not going down another rabbit hole with you like I did with my battery gauge (which btw I added a switch to, and only turn it on before I start the bike or after I shut it off). The spring loaded kit works good for me and if there is any power loss caused by it, it's so negligible as to be unnoticed. Spring loaded is pretty much a necessity for me. I tried a static tensioner and the torque of the jackshaft throws the chain off it and pulls it towards the spokes.

Touchy? Seems so. I had to look back to even remember what we "discussed".

I'll tell you what I told one other on this forum. Go ahead and vent here, rather than taking it out on family over the holidays.

Yeah, you came into my thread criticizing me and then didn't even stick around to listen to me defend myself. So you wanna tunnel down rabbit holes, be my guest. I'll not follow. Poor forum etiquette.

I'll tell you what I told one other on this forum. Go ahead and vent here, rather than taking it out on family over the holidays.

Why do you engage people, then ignore them or act like what they have to say is unimportant? You're a first class d-bag.

Somewhere early on a lazy builder installed a chain tensioner rather than make an engine mounting with approximately 1/2" of adjustment which would just about do any link...soooo, since then everyone likes risking destroying a wheel and crashing. Its the dumbest thing on any build......cept maybe routing exhaust to your closed face helmet

People like you make me wanna smack the stupid outta somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back