so I broke my frame in half today

Local time
3:00 AM
I was on my way in to work today, and I went to take a turn into the parking lot and My engine shifted over onto my left leg:eek:....... sensing somthing was wrong I stoped the bike, I completly lost the upright engine mount and when the motor torqued over it broke the bottom tube of the frame just like the engine mount was a pipe cutter.:cry:
I need to find a new donor bike now.I want something OLD looking, any suggestions?

Was it a steel frame? Try craigs list or a thrift shop like the sally or goodwill. Glad your ok!

*sigh*

Two similar posts in two days...

Its probable that its a fatigue failure - have a look at the metal closely under a lense and see if you can see regular patterns in the failure - that will tell you its fatigue.

I think it would be best that when you retrofit the motor to another bike you use some sort of padding material if possible on the mounts to insulate the engine vibration away from the frame... it doesnt have to be much.. just enough to reduce the worst of it.

I dont know if its possible - having not had one of these engines in my hands to look at but I am thinking that it would be a good idea to fab up some sort of three point mounting - all points rubber isolated - so the engine is held securely but doesnt translate its vibrations to the frame... two of the cylinder head studs could be a good mounting point for an upper adjustable mounting stay...

Done properly on the right bike it could also add to the classic flavour

Jemma xx

Jemma -- Some rubber between the engine and frame ---that's a good idea. Even a piece of an old tube may help out a lot --- at times I have used some elect tape to hold rubber in place until my part has been tightened into position. As we look at cars -- all if not most have rubber motor and transmission mounts... Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Someone suggested to me once (I think it was Jemma, as a matter of fact) that I try leather. So I cut strips out of an old belt. Seems to work. Frame holding up. (and I don't think it's the toughest frame in the world. Now I've probably jinxed myself and it'll break tomorrow :)

Back