So I found this neat little jackshaft setup...

john doe

Local time
12:52 PM
So, I was checking out cargo bikes because of reasons, and I came across something that i found very interesting.

sycip_monkey-1.jpg

Not talking about the motor. No, not at all.

Look at the crank.

It's a jackshaft that goes through the bracket.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that it's freewheel from the pedal crank, because that would be incredibly stupid if it weren't. Also because their website seems to neither to confirm nor deny this.

SO!

Other than the fact that you need to get your clutch casing to magically point more or less straight down and without actually rotating the engine that much, what are your thoughts on using this sort of jackshaft with a little cheap 66cc?

Compare and contrast with the SBP shift kit, and comment on other implications too! Gogogo!

Well, unless your bikes pedal cranks are well behind your seat post you would need a dual pulleys to route the chain, and since the 2 chain rings are are not tied to same freewheel it would need 2 freewheels so the pedals are not always spinning which would make it impossible to bump start I would think.

Why they chose to not just turn the motor around and run it backwards like all the e-Bikes I build is beyond me so it's not just useless as an electric but useless for a 2-stroke as well.

However...
It does have potential for a 4-stroke pull start drive system without the need of an actual jackshaft, however it's the freewheel sprocket/crank arm bearing that is the expensive part at ~$80 for a good one.

I don't like that the main chain is still the same flimsy bike chain. But electric bikes are usually pretty weak in power.

Back