So who here has been pulled over on a MB?

bikejock

Local time
11:21 PM
I'm planing on motorizing my Dyno Deuce with a 49cc 4 stroke late next month and I am a little concerned about how cops deal with motorized bicyclists these days. Who here has stories of getting pulled over? I've never been pulled over on anything (MB, scooter, motorcycle etc.) they seem to leave vehicles like that alone around here thank god. I've never even been pulled over even on on a motorless bicycle and I've ridden in the side walk a few times past my local police station.

I'm not too worried about getting pulled over around where my house is because we mostly have security around my neighborhood (we live in a gated suburb style community) and cops are rarely ever seen around here. But I think they've been playing more hardball with motorized bicyclists lately in California so riding my MB might be risky downtown or as we call it sometimes the 'pig pen' (where cops are most often seen) I used to get around on a 2 stroke back when they used to be legal but I sold it for parts after the engine crapped out on me.

I've never been pulled over on that 2 stroke bike and my roommates 4 stroke lazer 5 moped even without having plates for the longest time. But that was back when California was less strict about mopeds and MBs. I guess the cops around the downtown area of my city mostily hang around there waiting to give people in cars traffic tickets. I've seen more people in cars get pulled over more often than 2 wheel vehicles.

As far as I've read all bicyclists are required to wear helmets (ridiculous) and MAB'ers have to have a special license plate one time reg in Cali.I think Cali should just make everyone wear a helmet upon waking, jk.

As far as I've read all bicyclists are required to wear helmets (ridiculous) and MAB'ers have to have a special license plate one time reg in Cali.I think Cali should just make everyone wear a helmet upon waking, jk.
You read wrong, only under 18 needs to wear a helmet on a pedal bike in CA.

I'm planing on motorizing my Dyno Deuce with a 49cc 4 stroke late next month and I am a little concerned about how cops deal with motorized bicyclists these days. Who here has stories of getting pulled over?

But I think they've been playing more hardball with motorized bicyclists lately in California so riding my MB might be risky downtown or as we call it sometimes the 'pig pen' (where cops are most often seen) I used to get around on a 2 stroke back when they used to be legal but I sold it for parts after the engine crapped out on me.

I've never been pulled over on that 2 stroke bike and my roommates 4 stroke lazer 5 moped even without having plates for the longest time.
Jeez, why so nervous?

CA is easy to be legal on a motorized bicycle.
Lots of threads here about how.

You read wrong, only under 18 needs to wear a helmet on a pedal bike in CA.

Yup, your right. I've been riding my non motorized mountain bike without a helmet since I was 19 and have never been stopped by the cops because of it. On an MB its totally understandable to be required to wear a helmet. At least they don't make us wear motorcycle helmets on MBs. From what I've found out in California you can get away with using a typical bicycle helmet.

Jeez, why so nervous?

CA is easy to be legal on a motorized bicycle.
Lots of threads here about how.

Not really that nervous. I was just slightly concerned because I know they update laws regarding MBs every now and then here in California and cops can be A holes about it sometimes. Also just fishing for stories.

Yup, your right. I've been riding my non motorized mountain bike without a helmet since I was 19 and have never been stopped by the cops because of it. On an MB its totally understandable to be required to wear a helmet. At least they don't make us wear motorcycle helmets on MBs. From what I've found out in California you can get away with using a typical bicycle helmet.
California law requires MB riders to wear DOT approved helmets which are normally a M/C type helmet. Can you get away with wearing a bicycle helmet, most likely, however when you get pulled over and questioned it's all about attitude whether you get ticketed or let go with a warning.

Attitude is everything when getting pulled over whether you get ticketed or let go with a warning.

I've made quite a few forays into Indiana on my motorbike since they passed their new law requiring tags (I am a Kentucky resident). A few cops have seen me but they haven't pulled me over. Yet. :)

=Timbone=

California law requires MB riders to wear DOT approved helmets which are normally a M/C type helmet. Can you get away with wearing a bicycle helmet, most likely, however when you get pulled over and questioned it's all about attitude whether you get ticketed or let go with a warning.

Hmmm. I didn't realize they made it a requirement for us to have DOT helmets for MB riders. Good thing I still got my DOT motorcycle helmet in my garage. Had it from when I used to have a Chinese electric scooter. That thing was a piece of crap. It only did 20 MPH and only had a battery range of 5 to 8 miles per charge. Sold it for a 2 stroke build years ago when 2 strokes used to be legal in CA. Then the 2 stroke crapped out on me and I sold it for parts a few years after building it. Now I'm saving for a 4 stroke kit for my GT Dyno Deuce. Made sure the engine fits the bike. Now I just gotta wait till next month or early May before getting the kit.

Back