So you want an ebike for Christmas? How about this one?!!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
I was in a hurry when posting the link. The point was to provide a well known Ebike battery with it's built in safety features that's not known for catching on fire for the naysayers. Pg 2 gets into the safety details. 4 years ago these were selling for $1300, now $699.
I thought that was your intent, but I just wasn't sure lol

If you look more closely into this and many of the ebike battery fire stories they have a common element.

they were charging when they caught fire.

Cheap charger, cheap BMS, wrong type of charger, too strong of a charger, etc.

They never include enough details when it comes to the equipment in question to be able to make a determination, but given the fact that he was charging his bike in a public setting, I would almost hazard a guess that his bike was plugged into the wrong style of charger for the cell type in his battery. Charging a LiFePO4 cell like you would a LiON or vice versa will cause high stress and a ton of heat. Especially if it is a rapid charger.
Very well said.
Most Ebike users do not even bother to research what they are buying, let alone due diligance on their chargers...

That being said, in my opinion, the manufacturers should tell people about using different types of chargers for different type of batteries.

I've seen a guy at a bike shop with a 10 amp charger from some old type of battery and he was in there wondering why his battery won't stay charged lol

Ya'll Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

If you look more closely into this and many of the ebike battery fire stories they have a common element.

they were charging when they caught fire.
To me, that is like saying that your gasser car or motorcycle may only blow up when you are filling the gas tank...lol...lol.

Both scenarios are very, very, unacceptable to me,

Charging your batteries are the same as filling the gas tank, your replenishing the fuel supply and both should be a relatively safe thing to do !!!

To me, that is like saying that your gasser car or motorcycle may only blow up when you are filling the gas tank...lol...lol.

Both scenarios are very, very, unacceptable to me,

Charging your batteries are the same as filling the gas tank, your replenishing the fuel supply and both should be a relatively safe thing to do !!!
It's not equivalent to that though.

Think of it more like 2 different types of fuel pumps at the station. One that fills the tank like a fire hose, and then slows to a trickle for the last 5%, and the other that stays at a regulated moderate pace for most of the fill.

If your tank isn't able to take "fire hose" mode without exploding, you probably shouldn't use that pump.

HumanPerson nailed it. Most consumers don't know any better or don't care to know, and most manufacturers don't do much in the way of educating people. Even if they do, we go back to the main element - people. You know people are stupid. They have been coddled their entire lives with health and safety being built-in to every aspect of their lives, so they don't have to, or even try to, think.

It's not equivalent to that though.
Mark my words for future referrence, I am predicting that these battery combustion episodes are so prevalent that it will unfortunately happen to one of our members that did everything right and still will report a catastrophic situation happening.

I hope it doesn't but I think it is gonna be inevitable...Here is to hoping I am totally wrong about this.

Mark my words for future referrence, I am predicting that these battery combustion episodes are so prevalent that it will unfortunately happen to one of our members that did everything right and still will report a catastrophic situation happening.

I hope it doesn't but I think it is gonna be inevitable...Here is to hoping I am totally wrong about this.
As long as they have a brain, I don't believe so. If they do, I would promise you with 90% surety they did something wrong.

I don't know if I can say the name of the "company" that makes that bike, but it's one guy in his garage. He also makes the batteries.

Only You!!!

Screenshot_20230326-174226_Google.jpg

Back