SoCAL ride Barbeque?

Discussion in 'Races, Events & Group Rides' started by rockvoice, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockvoice

    rockvoice Member

    I going to plan a ride and after barbeque in los angeles or orange county sometime this spring or summer. anyone in those areas that would suggest a ride or gathering park for after (Park would be destination). i'll be checking into locations myself. so all of you that may be up for it let me know.
    nothin crazy for the barbeque , maybe hotdogs

  2. AlexRSS8

    AlexRSS8 Member

    hehehehehe, ohh good ol' Americans, barbeque, hotdogs...
    well at least someones trying to organise something,BUT theres not enough of us to organise any major events anywhere it seems.

    Good luck with your barbeque and the hot dogs and the meeting, hehehe cracks me up..
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  3. srdavo

    srdavo Active Member


    that's a cheap, quick & easy meal, for a bunch of hungry riders!!

    build a fire & cook 'em on a stick!!

    I'd rather ride all day, than cook all day!!


    good luck rockvoice.... there are a bunch of So-Cal riders....sounds like a Fun Event!!
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. bamabikeguy

    bamabikeguy Active Member

    I have no doubt one day a group of road kill enthusiasts will be on board, making stew. I could have fed a party of fifty just on the turtles I passed in a 5 mile stretch of Missouri.

    That is ONE big advantage, we see ten times more of what the road has to offer.
  5. BirthNight

    BirthNight Member

    Wonderful Idea!

    Fantastic! I'm brand new to motor-biking and would really love to meet some fellow MBers in the LA area. I live in Westwood. Where in Los Angeles do you all live?
  6. BirthNight

    BirthNight Member

    Oh I forgot to mention, a great park to meet up (huuuuge and beautiful and easy to access) is the park right by the Dodger stadium. It's called Elysian Park - I think it would be a great place to have the BBQ~
  7. rockvoice

    rockvoice Member


    hey, I actually live in Glendale 5 mins from elysian park , that might be a cool location for this. keep in touch I wanna make it happen. Rob.........
  8. BirthNight

    BirthNight Member

    I have one question though. I feel like I need to be stealth with my MB. See a cop - kill the engine (unless I feel I won't be seen/heard). I guess it's because it's quite loud and 66cc 4-5HP. I'm pretty sure 49cc 2 HP is the legal limit in CA.
    So, to get to the point - would 10 of us all flying down the street on our super loud engines cause the wrong kind of attention? I feel like they could impound our bikes or give us massive fines.
  9. rockvoice

    rockvoice Member

    I agree with your concerns, hopefully some other socal members can chime in with there experience in the area (i'm new to this whole thing too) or someone can come up with another way to this thing or ideas and suggestions. I rode today with 5 riders for 30 miles thru Glendale , eagle rock, pasadena nothing but people wanting to know how to get a MB. noticed a few cops none show any interest (but i also do the kill the engine thing) i just tell them it 48cc no way to tell the difference for them.
  10. L8 APEKS

    L8 APEKS New Member

    I would attend said BBQ/group ride!

    As for CA laws...tell them it's 49cc. Done. I've ridden past cops quite often. If they stopped a pack of 10+ riders, I'd be willing to bet it would only be to ask us questions about them because they thought they were cool.
  11. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

    The California law doesn't say anything about 49cc......
    It says less than 2 gross brake horsepower and the Chinese 66cc
    2 stroke motor doesn't make 2 HP in stock tune no matter what any of the
    specs say. There is no way they make "4-5 HP"

    With a stock 44 tooth sprocket the top speed at 6500 RPM is only 27.9 mph.
    7300 rpm = 31.3 mph [ 26" wheels ]

    Why is your engine super loud?
    Did you modify your exhaust?
    The exhausts I have with the 66 cc kits I sell are pretty quiet.

    Anyway, if you have a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license and
    wear a DOT helmet you are legal........
    Get the $18? moped plate from the DMV and you are good to go!
    It's a one time fee that only has to be paid again if you sell your bike.
    I would be interested in a group get together in LA / Orange County.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  12. L8 APEKS

    L8 APEKS New Member

    Indeed...the laws changed just last year. There used to be an exception. The laws were re-written, the catalyst was Go-Peds.

    Yes, technically, we could all get cited - unless we all have M2 licenses.

    Unfortunately, depending on how certain departments interpret the laws, we might also need full sets of signal lights (turn, brake, etc), horns, and the like. I am going to go buy a copy of the '09 CVC and see what else has changed.
  13. BirthNight

    BirthNight Member

    Wow - thanks for taking time to explain all of that Forbisher. I really appreciate it. I am new to all of this and am learning slowly but surely. I have a Class M1 motorcycle license. I assume M1 covers M2. I will definitely go to the DMV and get that plate!

    Thanks again!
  14. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

    Hey no problem...
    but don't go to the DMV as you will only confuse them and waste a lot of
    your time
    Use the form on the DMV website and get them to mail it to you

    Class M1 motorcycle license is good.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  15. BirthNight

    BirthNight Member

    Excellent ~ Filling it out right now! :)
  16. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

    I read that the plate fee had gone up to $19........
    Please let us know when you get the plate and how it went

  17. BirthNight

    BirthNight Member

    Will do!
  18. the willi

    the willi New Member

    the park

    how about clark park in fullerton,ca. off of rosecrans!! they have pitts and it is a nice park. let me know when you are having the event!
  19. the willi

    the willi New Member

    hey guys look at v.c.section 4020 under motorized bikes.

    note it says you have to be 16 years of age, wear a bike helmet,under 5 breaking horse power, you dont have to have a m-2 license
  20. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

    That is for ELECTRIC Bicycles only......which is CVC 406 (b)

    and it says nothing about " 5 breaking horse power"

    Please provide a link to where you saw this, but you are dead wrong

    This website does a pretty good job of suming up the laws

    Last edited: May 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.