solid puncture-proof innertubes?

Norm

Local time
2:18 PM
When I'm full throttle (30mph) the thing I fear most is a blow-out. I was wondering if anyone has used those solid puncture-proof tires. Might eliminate one of the dangerous situations when motorbiking.

I've used them on my regular/non-motorized bicycle. Personally, I don't like them. They don't absorb shock as well and the version that is an entire tire, squirms on the rim and simply doesn't feel right. The other version that goes inside the tire seems better, but still doesn't abosorb shock nearly as well, (no even close), so I've written them off.

However, there are others in this forum that like them, so I'll leave it to them for more positive information.

In my opinion, I don't think there's much worry about a blow out. I ride my standard bicycle 30mph, and I haven't had a problem. I do know of someone it happened to, but he managed to maintain control after hitting a BIG pothole, so he wasn't hurt. His roadbike is far better than my beater, so he was going around 42mph. It could have been much worse.

--John

The problem I had with No More Flats airless tubes is flat spots developing as the tube broke down. You never got a flat tire so to speak but did get a unevenness or a flat spot in one or more areas of the tube. Also they weigh a ton and are harsh riding. I would use a strong tire like the Continental one the police use and slime in a thorn resistant or regular tube. It is common to need to air up a bicycle tire weekly. The heaviest tube and tire combo is way thinner than a car or truck tire. The air is part of a bicycle suspension so is softer riding than a no more flats. I have even seen wheels that were destroyed partly because of the harshness of the solid tubes.

Last edited:
It happened to me. I forgot to put a rimstrip on before installing the tube:( Fortunately I was pulling into my driveway at a slow speed.

I'm also interested in the super thick tubes with slime already installed. Maybe they are the best option.

A bike shop can be your best friend for getting the bike part running good. They have thorn resistant tubes with slime and will usually install it for free if you are carrying only the wheels in. Wheels are something that can cost a lot and a good place to put money for a safer and better running bike.

Back