solid tires? alternatives?

jwr3k

Local time
5:18 PM
Anyone tried solid rubber tires? Im so sick of changing tubes. Im pretty darn good at it though. I have a 12 mile ride into town everyday, then 12 miles back. plus whatever riding i do in town. The main issue is the s**tty roads and all the sketchy debris on the shoulder of the roads before i actually get into town. Ive even gone along my route getting rid of the puncture vine, and cleaning up dangerous debris whenever i can. I also avoid construction sites. I currently use tire liners and these do a great job most of the time, but i still get flats. just not as many. Its these damn nails that are everywhere. So I was thinking of trying solid tires, but i wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these first or if there are any issues i didnt anticipate.

thanks

Anyone tried solid rubber tires? Im so sick of changing tubes. Im pretty darn good at it though. I have a 12 mile ride into town everyday, then 12 miles back. plus whatever riding i do in town. The main issue is the sh**ty roads and all the sketchy debris on the shoulder of the roads before i actually get into town. Ive even gone along my route getting rid of the puncture vine, and cleaning up dangerous debris whenever i can. I also avoid construction sites. I currently use tire liners and these do a great job most of the time, but i still get flats. just not as many. Its these damn nails that are everywhere. So I was thinking of trying solid tires, but i wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these first or if there are any issues i didnt anticipate.

thanks
I read some reviews about Solid Tires people say their hard to mount on the rim It's kinda tight but that's normal.
Also they say the tires are softer making the bike harder to pedal.
They all said they never got a flat again
You can also buy a Solid tube. Their made from a hard foam rubber kinda like the Solid Rubber tire.
But same thing it makes the bike harder to pedal. Since ya got a M/B shouldn't have any problems pedaling.

I read some reviews about Solid Tires people say their hard to mount on the rim It's kinda tight but that's normal.
Also they say the tires are softer making the bike harder to pedal.
They all said they never got a flat again
You can also buy a Solid tube. Their made from a hard foam rubber kinda like the Solid Rubber tire.
But same thing it makes the bike harder to pedal. Since ya got a M/B shouldn't have any problems pedaling.

Question just curious, prob don't know since you said you read, but hey maybe you seen it.

is it harder to pedal cause the foam squishes down ??? if so is it possible to say buy two take the second one cut it put the cut one and first one together to make it a bit thicker so it's even more solid and not soo much squish?

Put your tire on the rim, sans tube, squirt Great Stuff in the valve stem hole, let it set up, instant solid tire and no flats. :ROFLMAO:

You know i keep forgetting ALMOST EVERYONE here uses Mountain Or Cruiser, While i sit here with a 20x4 1/4" Tire/Tyre with another thinner Tire/Tyre to fit.

EDIT: YEAH I LIKE MY PHAT TIRES/TYRES WHAT OF IT, :p just like my Choppers like the OCC
What size tyre lines a 4.25" ?

And beyond this doubling the outermost layer can we plant a second inner tube between the tyres, so we have a high pressure tyre inside a more comfortable moderately inflated tyre?
For decent traction, comfort, and then also the impact protection of the innermost high pressure tyre? Sorry this is the second thread I have spammed the idea to. This is the same concept as the stupidly expensive Schwalbe System that I am talking about. It puts one inner tube in the inside tyre with no tread like a turbo trainer tyre. Then the outer tyre is tubeless.
What can we do with that idea that is practical for us? The forum has enough skills between us to achieve anything at all. Harder to get some1 to buy a Schwalbe System for research though obviously lol.
I was putting a 20" x 1.5" innertube into my 20" x 2.3" tyre on a narrow (folding bike not bmx width) rim to see how round I can get a modern fatty bmx 20" tyre without popping the bead off. I was worried the innertube didn't have the size, wouldn't stretch being that it is a couple of decades old and has been punctured and repaired several times beforehand in urban bmx use. I thought about the drilling of a second valve hole and the sharing of the same fat space by two tubes, at the same pressure of course... but then also I thought about the narrow tyre inside of the low pressure tyre and the other idea, using the old bmx tyre as a liner and no second inner tube...
Just couldn't do it though because of the extra weight and inertia and I have not tried out the 2.3" as it is intended so idk what it is like.
Also actually how long it takes to change a tube and repressurise? Not much time, not much effort. Only happens some of the time, not all the time, no goatheads in UK.
The weight of spare tube and pump carried mid frame being totally insignificant to my bike's handling, versus a tough (intended as the outermost layer) bmx tyre with a fairly thick slickish tread that doesn't necessarily reach all of the way out to the diameter of my nice big round cross section 2.3" dough nut.

Question just curious, prob don't know since you said you read, but hey maybe you seen it.

is it harder to pedal cause the foam squishes down ??? if so is it possible to say buy two take the second one cut it put the cut one and first one together to make it a bit thicker so it's even more solid and not soo much squish?
Yea it squishes down. Some said they like that cause it makes the bumps on the road soft.
Cutting up a new Solid Tire? If ya try that let us know how it works out for ya?

Dudes and dudettes if you ever shot a framing nail gun or pounded down a 16 penny nail, you'll know that it will take more than 4 layers of rubber to withstand a nail at 200 lbs per inches of pressure. There's just no getting around that. The front tire flips it up and magically the back tire drives it home. You get a good spinning colored fountain show if you have slime. You get a hiss and some squirrel if you don't. Either way not fun. Wish i could avoid roadside nails myself. Please let us know how solid tires work out as i was considering ordering a internal geared hub and front wheel with dynamo and light but it comes with solid tires and reviews said they are on so tight they need to be cut off.

Back