Tubes Solid tubes = no air

darwin

Local time
8:33 AM
As some of you know I had my 1st flat recently and am learning all over again about bicycle tubes and tires. While I was at wallyworld I saw that they sold a solid rubber tube that fits into the tire, cost was around $20 I think. Has any one used these and if so what are your thoughts? If they work the idea of no more flats is cool. Ive seen those airless tires and have decided for a friction drive they wouldnt work to well because of their cost and replacing them more frequently.

You'll see varying opinions on these tires within the forums. The solid tires can't absorb shock as well as a common pneumatic tires. I've had both a solid polyurethane tire and the 'no more flats' version you saw at Wallyworld. Neither impress me very much, unfortunately. I REALLY wanted to like both of them. I ended up taking off the solid tire and simply not use the other. The solid tire squirmed on the rim and therefore didn't inspire confidence when cornering.

See if you can find the 'flat blocker max' at Wallyworld. They are VERY thick and contain selant in case of a leak. I would use them, but they only come in schrader valve.

--John

OK 1 more question what is a presta valve? Ive noticed with tubes you have a choice of that or the shrader valve.

There are pictures and information here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/presta-schrader.html

In short, Presta valves came to be because the narrow rims of old weren't strong enough to allow for the larger diameter schrader valves. I'm not sure if that's still true. I don't really like Presta valves, but you end up getting stuck with them, so I've adapted. They take a special (cheap) adapter to be used with a common air pump, if the pump isn't already designed to fit. -- John

As some of you know I had my 1st flat recently and am learning all over again about bicycle tubes and tires. While I was at wallyworld I saw that they sold a solid rubber tube that fits into the tire, cost was around $20 I think. Has any one used these and if so what are your thoughts? If they work the idea of no more flats is cool. Ive seen those airless tires and have decided for a friction drive they wouldnt work to well because of their cost and replacing them more frequently.
I don't know much about the stuff that Wal-Mart sells.

I know that the guy who makes and sells the air-free tires online, makes them to your order. You include how much you and the bike weigh, and he sets the machine to blow the urethane density accordingly.
~

Id advise against the solid tires since they don't have as much give. Your tires will likely go out of true much faster. Also if you hit a lot of bumps you may just end up bending the rim (the guy i bought mine from did it with inflatables).

Dunno if the weight matters or not but they are heavy (for tires).

I don't like them. I rode a bike that had them and the handling was poor, the rolling resistance was noticeably higher, and the bike weight increase was a large strain on the my engine.

About those No More Flats innertubes, they fit tires that are 24" x 1.75" and another box has the 26" x 1.75". Since they don't expand, you can't use them for the fat cruiser tires (26 x 2.125"). They are difficult to put on, and the ride feels spongy. They're best for people who don't weigh a lot.

**The newest option is having your tires filled with polyurethane foam. www.airfreetires.com does this now. You ship them your tires, they pour the liquid polyurethane, which expands and fills the inside of the tire. They do something to the innner part of the tire so that the foam doesn't run out.

Last edited:
flat tires

If you are having regular flats from junk on the road, look at tire savers. You can get a description of them at www.sheldonbrown.com. I started using them in Ca. back in the 80's and went from a lot of flats to almost none. The wire brushes lightly against the tire and knocks off shards of glass and thorns and other sharp bits before they dig in. I have a set that I have had for many years and I just replace the part that rubs against the tire. You will wear out many tires before you need to do this. I have moved them from bike to bike. Sheldon Brown doesn't think that they are that good, but I know better. Try to find some, they are cheap and work well.

Back