[SOLVED!] HS 142F leaking gas from carb overflow tube and air filter

greenjon

Local time
10:25 AM
I built a motored bike in the spring. I put a few miles on it and everything seemed fine. Then I put it in storage.

Today I put a larger fuel tank on it and gassed it up. Gas leaks out of the air filter and out of the tube that is above the fuel line.

What did I break and how do I fix it?!

Thank you for your help.

Your carb is not leaking!
It is overflowing because the float is not shutting off the gas gravity feeding into the float bowl.

Clean the carb needle valve.
I doubt if the float has gas in it making it a sink.
Do you use an inline fuel filter?

putring that carb in storage without draining the gas will also plug it up.

Your carb is not leaking!
It is overflowing because the float is not shutting off the gas gravity feeding into the float bowl.

Clean the carb needle valve.
I doubt if the float has gas in it making it a sink.
Do you use an inline fuel filter?

putring that carb in storage without draining the gas will also plug it up.

I do use an inline filter (brand new).
I did put it in storage for ~6 months without draining the gas. :(

Thank you very much! I will search the forums on how to clean the carb needle valve.
Thanks again!

Remove the float bowl.
The arm on the float raises the needle valve into the seat to shut off the flow.
I think that needle valve has a rubber tip.

Sometimes tapping the carb will fix the overflowing.
Any debris in the seat will make it overflow.

Remove the float bowl.
The arm on the float raises the needle valve into the seat to shut off the flow.
I think that needle valve has a rubber tip.

Sometimes tapping the carb will fix the overflowing.
Any debris in the seat will make it overflow.

Thank you.
I did try lots of tapping.
I know I can take just the bowl off, with a 10mm wrench.
But will it be easier if I take the whole carb off?
And if so, do I need a new gasket when I reinstall the carb?

Many thanks.

Thanks for your help! I was able to remove the bowl without removing the air filter or carb. It looked clean, but I cleaned it with carb cleaner and a cotton rag anyway, and sprayed carb cleaner up where the needle seats, and more carb cleaner down the overflow tube. It took a while to get it started again but I think they may have just been air in the system.

I finally got it started and idling well, but noticed a little drip from the bowl. I snugged the 10mm bolt on the bowl down tighter, and I'll return to this project tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't f*** up the o-ring on the bowl.

Thanks again!

Don't tighten that 10mm bolt on the bottom too tight, snug is good, you can distort the bowl. Make sure the gasket on the bolt is good to go too.

Back