Some Success With 72 Jet

You can see two black spots around the ring. (picture 1)
Yours is looking good. Little rich, but not to bad. I'd be ok running that. The little richness will help keep the engine cooler.

If you ride hard like me, you're right in the zone. Keep heat creep from robbing power when ya mobbing hard.

I got some good tips on a facebook group. They seem to think the wir-wir-wir and slight jerking are the clutch. Another guy says somewhere with a chain. Way back when I got this motor I got the advice from somewhere (not here) that I should use only a very little bit of grease on the clutch gears. Took the clutch cover off and what little grease I had put on there was long gone. Greased it back up, this time used more than last time.

I previously found that my left side shift kit chain was grinding on the inside of the drive sprocket cover. I fixed that but today I noticed two other spots where it was grinding a little bit as well. One of those places was the side of the steel shift kit mount. That could also be the cause of the sound. I covered all those spots with black magic marker so I will be able to see (the next time I take the cover off) if they still rub.

This girl is playing hard to get. But she will be mine. Oh yes, ... she will be mine. 😜

I got some good tips on a facebook group. They seem to think the wir-wir-wir and slight jerking are the clutch. Another guy says somewhere with a chain. Way back when I got this motor I got the advice from somewhere (not here) that I should use only a very little bit of grease on the clutch gears. Took the clutch cover off and what little grease I had put on there was long gone. Greased it back up, this time used more than last time.

I previously found that my left side shift kit chain was grinding on the inside of the drive sprocket cover. I fixed that but today I noticed two other spots where it was grinding a little bit as well. One of those places was the side of the steel shift kit mount. That could also be the cause of the sound. I covered all those spots with black magic marker so I will be able to see (the next time I take the cover off) if they still rub.

This girl is playing hard to get. But she will be mine. Oh yes, ... she will be mine. 😜
I'll bet that whir noise is the chain and that mount. I had the same prob on a bike, but it was the stock mount stud and nut grinding away. I installed motor mounts I made and it never happened again. Does it go faster with speed and sound lumpy when going slow? Thats the way it was for me.

I'll bet that whir noise is the chain and that mount. I had the same prob on a bike, but it was the stock mount stud and nut grinding away. I installed motor mounts I made and it never happened again. Does it go faster with speed and sound lumpy when going slow? Thats the way it was for me.
The wir-wir goes away if I'm doing about 10 mph or more and pulling with about half throttle or more. I tried to not go too much throttle as it's nowhere near broken in yet.

You might be hearing the case breathing as the piston goes by. Loudest thing on these after you quite the exhaust is the piston opening and closing the intake port.

Back