Chain Tensioner Some thoughts on chain tensioners....

kelli

Local time
10:51 PM
HI Everyone, first off, I'd like to thank each and everyone of you and your extreme knowledge of my vehicle, and sharing it with us, me in particular. :) With little knowledge when I purchased Penelope 2 yrs ago, I was at the mercy of "my bike guy" when it came to anything really about the care, up keep and repair, and it sucked. So I fired said bike guy and with your help on this forum, and numerous uTube videos, I am free, free at last of the bike guy. Replaced Carb, throttle, CDi, and sadly after it rained on me, the motor that was on her (66cc), major parts he'd put on, so now I know if it's good and right.
So I did just put a bigger #41 chain on her, so now she needs a bigger and better tensioner to handle it. What might be some of your recommendations? I don't have tools or much skill at making one myself, ( She is a daily driver, and she has to pull a lot of hills, if that matters). Any help in this matter would again, be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure like myself, there is a lot of us learning a great deal from y'all, but just aren't big class talkers. Thanks so much again for this forum, and your input and hope everyday is a great ride..

Kelli

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1452747483402.jpg
    FB_IMG_1452747483402.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 500
This is the best you can buy, imo, because it is slightly adjustable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-66-80cc-...ensioner-Spring-Loaded-Michigan-/182291853613
The most important thing to remember is that the chain has a straight path from the engine output sprocket to the rear wheel.
I fabricated something very similar out of the stock spring chain tensioner and it is pretty solid.
20161005_093022[1].jpg
20161005_093039[1].jpg
These are images of the prototype, it looks much cleaner now. You can't see it but I used washers to move the wheel to the correct chain position. Good luck!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thanks so much for your response to my question. There is not a lot of slack in the chain, and is really basically there to feed the chain now, so it doesn't "kink' under the clutch arm. I do always make sure everything is lined up straight, as I usually on top of the bike looking down whenever I had to adjust the previous chain. I can only wonder what the fly on the wall must be seeing tho. Thanks again, and hope everyday is a great ride!

Thanks so much for your response to my question. There is not a lot of slack in the chain, and is really basically there to feed the chain now, so it doesn't "kink' under the clutch arm. I do always make sure everything is lined up straight, as I usually on top of the bike looking down whenever I had to adjust the previous chain. I can only wonder what the fly on the wall must be seeing tho. Thanks again, and hope everyday is a great ride!
Have you got something to hold the sprocket on Tru ? That helps so much ...I use stock tensioner with spring and a hook I can adjust .The One with The Red nut is on a 4 stroke 142f and the other the on a pocket bike motor on a push bike I got the 4 stroke spring from a shop the pocket bike bike spring is from a kick stand . Best mod ever till I got something to make the sprocket run Tru

Attachments

• DSC_0098.JPG
    DSC_0098.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 424
I first used the scary stock tensioner with a self tapping screw through the bike frame. I had no problems with it but didn't trust it. Now I use a spring type tensioner which was purchased from kings motor bikes for about $50. It is very light in weight which is good and bad. Its not a great tensioner nor a horrible one. I have had no problems with it yet, but only have about 50 miles on it (top speed 43mph). My chain is fairly tight and it could run without it. Oh and by the way I had to slightly bend left pedal crank out maybe a 1/16" to clear side of engine once the new tensioner was installed.
20160906_200449.jpgView attachment 74467

Attachments

• 20160906_230728.jpg
    20160906_230728.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 459
$50 to much I expect a real motor bike tensioner for that ...or bolt the stock tensioner to the engine put a Spring . only $5

Sorry, really a little less than $40. Probably cost them less than a dollar to make. I ordered a few other things and figured I would give it a try. I do like the looks of it and might use it as a template for an upgrade later.

All good I just hate how everything is so expensive but the engines are not lol

All good I just hate how everything is so expensive but the engines are not lol

I have quite a few other projects other than bicycles (71 chevelle, 70 c-10, 89 Toyota pickup lowrider to name a few) which cost a lot to build. To be honest the price of the bicycle engines is what made want to build one. I thought I could finally get a project finished for little money......well after diverting truck funds to bicycles i realize.......
1. There is no limit to how much you can spend on anything
2. There is no such thing as a finished project
3. Everything needs a motor

Back